Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty 

          As soon as Ryan released Odessa from their hug, she smiled up at him.  From the looks of it, that was her first smile in a long time.  He walked her over nearest to Haven and told her to sit down.  Haven eyed her discretely without looking directly at her. 

          "He missed me . . . "  Odessa said absentmindedly.  Haven didn't know if she was being spoken to or if Odessa was just thinking out loud, but something compelled her to answer the statement. 

          "Of course he did.  He hasn't stopped thinking about you," Haven softly replied without looking at Odessa.  She could feel her dark brown eyes gliding over her and she didn't have to look over to know the confused expression on her face. 

          "My name's Haven.  I heard a little about you from Darin and Ryan," she still spoke quietly, but this time, she dared to look over at Odessa.  

          "You don't look familiar," Odessa said as Ryan walked over to them.  He was carrying a chair and set it down next to her.  Haven smiled at him without the compassion that Odessa did, but she genuinely meant it. 

          She wanted him to feel better, and she didn't want to make a bitch out of herself since she was meeting Odessa for the first time. 

          "How've you been?"  He asked her cautiously.  Haven saw the way he looked at her; it was the same way her father looked at her mother.  He was in love with her . . .  It wasn't a small infatuation, or even a crush. 

          He was genuinely in love with this girl. 

          "I've been alright, I guess.  I didn't like it there, you know.  It's been forever since I've gotten to sit outside in the sun and eat real food," she sheepishly answered.  Haven gave Ryan a knowing look, which he caught from the corner of his eye. 

          "I heard you bit a nurse.  Is that true?"  Ryan asked, gently grabbing her hand and kissing it.  She blushed slightly, reminding Haven of an overgrown child that had just been embarrassed in front of all her friends. 

          "She told me I had to take my medicine.  I don't like my medicine, Ryan.  It tastes gross and it makes me tired," she snapped without directing her anger toward him.  He nodded before standing and pulling her off to the side. 

          Haven knew he needed alone time with her, so she stayed where she was.  They moved toward the garage door, but didn't go inside.  

          She listened to the noises around her -- the laughter and chatting.  It sounded like a happy place . . . but, really, it was just a place for people that didn't actually have a place.  It was for the mistakes and the screw-ups.  It was for the people that were headed no where in life. 

          It was a place for people like her. 

          Eventually, Haven stood and pulled on her muscle shirt.  It was hot out and she was sweating slightly but she wanted to go for a walk.  She needed to get away from the noise and forget about everything around her.  She needed a quiet, calm place to think and there was no way she was getting that here. 

          She walked over to Charlie and smiled.  He returned it, signalling Haven to talk. 

          "What's up, kiddo?"  Charlie asked as he flipped a burger on the grill.  The sizzling reached her ears as the seasoned scent reached her nose.  It smelled of charcoal and perfectly cooked meat, but Haven wasn't even the slightest bit hungry.