Chapter 28

Chapter Twenty-Eight

          "Yes, I understand . . . "  Charlie said into the phone, "No, that won't be a problem.  Stop by any time you'd like . . .  No, absolutely not.  I won't have them in my house, again.  Yes . . .  Yes, thank you."

          Taking a breathe, he nodded to himself and spoke quietly, "See you soon; good bye."

          Haven and Darin were waiting in the kitchen for Charlie.  He walked out of the living room with a deadened and sorrowful look on his face.  Everyone else had gone to school and Maragret was running errands, which left the three to an empty house.  

          It had been three days since Matthew, Brianna and Yolanda were arrested.  It brought a bittersweet feeling to Charlie as he thought about everything that could've gone wrong, had it not been for Darin.  Taking off after Matthew was both idiotic and wise at the same time and he was grateful that he didn't get away with the crimes he committed. 

          He had received a voice mail throughout the night about the status on the three.  He didn't find it necessary, but he had decided on keeping Haven and Darin home until things were cleared up.  There were also stricter rules on them going out at night because Charlie was too worried and scared over losing more of the family he loved. 

          "What now?"  Darin asked as he took Haven's hand in his. 

          "Well . . .  First, we need to talk about your education," Charlie said, gesturing them to sit on the couch.  Haven nodded and sat down with Darin.  They still held hands, but Charlie didn't even pay attention to it.  

          Hand holding was the least of his worries right now. 

          "You've missed over two months of school, Haven," he began as he sat on the chair across from them.  She nodded, the image of her scars flashing through her mind, "Either we need to work something out with your principle and the school board, or you have another semester to make up before you graduate." 

          "I have extra credits from summer school and from taking classes that certain schools don't offer, Charlie," she said, counting them out in her head.  "Technically, I don't have to do another semester.  I have all my required courses.  I could just go back and take the SAT test with the class and graduate that way.  I mean, I don't think it'd be a big deal to go and take it.  It would just be one day . . .  Besides, then Darin can take it, too." 

          "I guess . . . but you know how I feel about that," Charlie said. 

          "Just because there's been a lot of publicity and news reporters showing up at the door doesn't mean Darin and I have to stay cooped up like chickens.  We're both 18 as of next week," she said, causing him to nod. 

          "I know you are . . . and I'm a little edgy on letting you go on that date Wednesday night," he admitted, causing them to shake their heads in disagreement.  "What?  Do you think I'm being a mother hen right now?" 

          "A little bit," Darin said with a cocky smirk. 

          "Come on, Darin . . .  Don't be a pain in the ass," Haven said with a laugh. 

          "You know what . . .  Fine; do what you think is right.  I hope you both just . . .  I hope you both understand the consequences to your actions if anyone finds something out that shouldn't have happened," he said his words cautiously and with a hidden warning, causing them to nod at the same time.