Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five

          "Why would you have done that?  I'm not worth killing yourself over.  I'm not worth coming back to and forgiving . . .  How can you even stand to be this close to me?"  He asked as he grabbed her hand and gently squeezed. 

          "I love you, Darin . . . "  Haven croaked after a moment of silence, "I couldn't stand to see you up there, ready to jump.  It felt wrong . . . and I felt like if you were up there, I should be there, too.  I guess I just know you shouldn't go through anything else alone and I'm here for you.  I'll always be here, right by your side, for the rest of your life . . . " 

          "Baby doll, save your beautiful voice . . . "  He whispered, gripping her hand a little tighter.  

          Without protest, Haven shut her mouth and looked down at the table.  Darin eventually stood and told her he would be back soon.  Then, he headed over to the drink stand and grabbed a SoBe life water for Haven and a green tea for himself. 

          He paid and started chatting briefly with the man behind the register.  He looked around twenty-three, and he waved at Haven after a moment of them talking.  Darin started to walk over to her, again, but stopped to pick up a cane that fell.  The old lady thanked him as he handed it to her before he made it back to Haven. 

          "I'm sorry . . . "  He mumbled, kissing her forehead.  She smiled weakly up at him and gently wrapped her already scarred fingers around the SoBe life water.  Darin loosened the top for her so she could easily drink it, and she thanked him with a small smile. 

          "Baby doll?"  Darin asked as she delicately lifted the bottle to her lips, "I know your throat hurts, but can I ask you something?" 

          "Mhm . . . "  She managed in between sips of her water. 

          "Are you going to be okay?  I mean . . .  If I go home tomorrow to shower and eat, do you think you'll be okay if I have Jackson stay here with you?"  He asked, worry drenching his tone, "I won't go if it'll bother you . . . "

          "You don't need to have anyone stay here . . .  I can just sleep while you go," she whispered.  

          She didn't want him thinking she was weak or that she couldn't take care of herself.  If she needed anything, she could just ring up the nurse.  After all, they do get paid to wait on her, hand and foot.  She didn't need to worry Darin over petty things. 

          "I just mean in your head . . . "  He whispered, remembering what the doctor had said about the possibility of developing post traumatic stress disorder, "Are you going to be okay in your head, while you're alone?"

          "Is there something you aren't telling me?"  She asked, causing him to chuckle without humor.  Then, his eyes lifted from the table to her chocolate orbs.  They were filled with worry and concern, but Darin tried to see past it. 

          "Do you dream?"  He asked, causing her to nod, "What about?"

          "Earlier I dreamt about kissing you . . . "  She admitted, smiling a little. 

          "Is that all you dreamt about?"  He mumbled his question, not wanting anyone else to hear their conversation.  Haven shook her head to confirm his question, and started to violently cough.  Darin smiled weakly as he released her hands.

          "Oh my god . . .  Are my Vans dead?"  She suddenly looked worried and frantic as she asked about her shoes, causing Darin to burst out in laughter.  He tried to control himself as people looked at him, but he couldn't.  The look on her face was priceless; she was worried about her shoes when her skin was burned and crinkled like a piece of crumpled paper.