[chapter thirty five] only love can hurt like this

A/N: This chapter will be from Aires point of view :) ALSO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LISTENING TO ONLY LOVE CAN HURT LIKE THIS WHEN READING THIS CHAPTER!

In a matter of seconds, I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. All it took was one word  too late for my world to come crashing down, to have all my happiness slip through my fingers. Maybe if I had turned sooner, maybe if I realised sooner, maybe then I could've saved her.

Everything was slow, the bullet whizzing through the air, the scream escaping my lips, every single emotion I've pushed away for the past few weeks that came flying coming back at the sound of a gunshot. Everything was too slow.

For a second, Sage's eyes found mine, fear filled them. Her gorgeous grey blue eyes. She didn't need to be looking at Gerard to know what was happening, the tears spilling from my eyes said enough.

Her loud gasp, broke me out of my trance, sending every cell in my body into panic mode. A strangled sob escaped my lips as her body fell into my arms, blood spread across her beautiful yellow dress, haunting the colour.

"Aires." She whispered, her eyes filled with sorrow.

"No. No, Sage look at me. You're gonna be okay, I promise you, you're going to be okay. Just stay with me." I cried, cupping her soft cheeks with my hands.

"CALL HELP! SOMEBODY PLEASE CALL FOR HELP!" My desperate sobbed echoed throughout the compound, sending everyone into shock.

Somewhere from behind me, Stiles replied. I couldn't hear what it was he said, the gunshot replayed in my head like a movie, blocking me from reality.

"Aires." Sage whispered, her body softening around my arms. "It's too late."

"No. No Sage dont you dare say that."

"It's okay, Aires."

"No it's not." I cried. "This isn't fair, it's not fair. None of this is fair-"

"Aires. Look at me." She demanded, though she lacked the hardest she normally had in her voice. "It's okay." She whispered softly, putting on the most heartbreaking smile I've ever seen.

Something within me broke, shattered is a better word for it. No matter how much I shook my head or begged her to stay, I knew she would eventually leave me. Her eyes, her smile, everything about her changed. How was it that someone could stay so calm when they know that it will only be a few minutes before they can never open their eyes again? Never laugh again. Never feel love again.

"I love you." I whispered, slowly rocking her in my arms. "I love you more than I've loved anyone and anything in the world. You can't leave just yet."

"I don't have a choice, Ree."

That's when I felt my whole soul shatter, when I felt everything come crashing down. That's when I knew the girl I was hopelessly in love with would die in my arms.

We didn't have enough time. We were never going to get any more time.

"I love you Aires Violet Hale, I've loved you since the day I met you."

If I wasn't sobbing hysterically before, I was now. I bent down till our faces were only inches apart, and placed a soft kiss on her lips. I kissed the girl I was in love with, and nothing had ever felt more right.

I slowly pulled back, tucking a few loose strands behind her ears and wiping the tears that had stained her cheeks.

"I need you to promise me something." She whispered, sending a wave of chills down my spine.

"Anything."

"I need you to promise me that you are going to live."

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion, my eyes searched hers for a deeper meaning to the promise.

As if sensing my confused state, she continued. Breaking my heart even more. "Your good Aires, your heart is pure. I need you to live.To enjoy every moment. I want you to fall in love, to dance, to smile. You need to live."

"But I have lived, I've done all of those things with you." I whispered, my voice starting to tremble.

Slowly, she shook her head, tears welling in her eyes. "No you haven't, not the way you should've. Your strong Aires, the strongest person I've ever met. You will get through this, I promise. And when you do I want you to remember this promise. I want you to remember that in this moment, you were everything to me."

"I promise." I whispered, feeling the heat from her body start to disappear. Panic coursed through my veins, making my hands begin to shake violently.

"I love you Aires." She whispered, giving me one last smile before her eyes fluttered shut.

An ear piercing sob ripped through the air, tearing at my throat. The last of her words sliced right through my soul, completely obliterating it into pieces. She was gone, my Sage, gone.

For the last time ever, I placed a soft kiss on her lips, whispering the words that have never been truer than in this moment. "I love you."

______

The day was beautiful, clear sky and a warm breeze. Just the way she would've wanted it. My yellow dress slightly lifted from the warm spring wind, making the yellow ribbon in my hair hit against my back. I watched the crystal clear stream splash against the rocks as it raced down the hill, accompanied by tiny fish and the occasional frog.

"She would've loved it." Stiles' soft voice whispered from beside me.

"I know." I whispered back, wrapping my arms tightly around my body for comfort. "Yellow was her favourite colour."

For her funeral I had chosen yellow, she didn't have any family so that left me to give her the best send away I could. Inside her casket was filled with hundreds of small flowers, all bright summer colours. She wore the same yellow dress she had worn to the winter formal and had her long brown hair in light curls, the same way she always wore it. By the evening she would be buried at her favourite place in the world, the lake in the woods by my Grandmother's house. She had once told me that she would build a house on the other side of the lake, given that she was seven at the time, however she always seemed to find her way there.

"I'm leaving for France in the morning." I whispered, breaking the growing silence between us.

"You're coming back right?" He whispered back, his voice barely audible.

"Always."

A few days after that night, Allison told her Dad about my living situation, about how I would have to move in with a foster family. He quickly called my social worker and arranged for him to become my new legal guardian, according to Allison he even managed to get the paperwork signed the same day.

With a small sigh, I leaned my head against Stiles' shoulder, hoping that the comfort of his presence would stop my body from shaking. Ever since that night, I haven't been able to stop shaking or feel warm.

"Hey." Stiles whispered, pulling me into his chest.

Seconds later, Scotts strong arms wrapped around me, sandwiching me between the two boys.

Even after everything that has happened, I know that as long as I have my two boys by my side, everything would be fine.

"I love you guys." I whispered, a single tear slid down my cheek.

"I love you too." They whispered in unison.

______

WE ARE FINALLY FINISHED WITH SEASON TWO!

The first chapter in the second book (season three) has been posted so go check it out! Its called Blank Space and you can find it on my profile :)