Chapter - 65

Pace My Heart

Chapter - 65

Daniel

"Thank you so much for the delicious meal."

I wanted to convey my gratitude to Ava's mother for the thoughtful and elaborate dinner. It was carefully prepared for me because this was the first time I was introduced to their traditional cuisine. When one visits a new place, getting the chance to share a home cooked meal was the best way to truly savor the flavors and the taste unique of any culture. It was indeed a good opportunity and the fact that Ava's family have been warm and welcoming was making the stay here comfortable and relaxed.

"You're always welcome Dr. Daniel. We're glad that you liked it," she replied with a gentle smile.

I came to thank her after seeing her sitting in the long open shed right in the front courtyard of the house. It was a traditional looking hut with slightly arched roof made with thick layer of thatch, secured at the edge with a decorative weave of bamboo and grass. Even though the main house was a cement concrete building, there were still parts of the house like the kitchen and this shed that appeared to be maintained with its age-old traditional style.

I noticed Ava's mother weaving on what looked like a hand- loom. It was my first time seeing one up close.

"We call it a loin loom. It's a type of our traditional loom. Have a seat and you can see how it's made."

She gestured for me to take one of the bamboo stools to sit down seeing how it had drawn my attention.

The loom seemed to be made of bamboo and wood. I could see her seating on the floor on a mat. The frame mounted on the wall, the yarns seemed to be stretched between two parallel bamboos and the bamboo at the end fixed to the wooden stick and held firm by means of straps worn around the lower back. It was fascinating as I quietly watch how the pattern was created by interweaving of the red and white weave threads, her hand swift and smooth.

"Weaving is a part of our culture and a way of life. We consider weaving to be closely associated with self and soul," she explained seeing my interest.

"It's a beautiful tradition," I expressed my view. The fact that they were still keeping the rich customs and preserving the art of weaving by hand was admirable.

"The one I'm finishing right now is a *Hoara Kachon. It's a shawl for Ava's father," she told me with another smile.

"Every Tangkhul woman weaves for their near and dear ones and with it you are expressing your warm feelings through the cloth which is worn with pride. You can say there's an emotional attachment," she added the symbolic gesture behind it.

"That sounds wonderful," my voice trailed hearing the profound thought associated with it.

"In old days, every girl was taught at a very young age to weave. It's a basic skill that is passed down through generations. I was lucky enough to have learnt the traditional Tangkhul weaving style from my mother-in-law since I come from the valley."

Ava's mom said with a reflective smile making me guessed that she didn't hailed from the hills from her words.

"Mom, I've been looking for you."

I heard Ava calling out to her mom as she stood at the front porch of the house.

"I keep telling my daughter that she needs to learn from me. But she has a mind of her own," she confided in me how she was having a hard time convincing Ava to learn which made me share a small laugh with her. It was touching hearing how it was something that she wanted her daughter to carry forward.