Chapter-13

"You still haven't got it right."

He told after watching me for a while. I was in the surgical skill lab practicing on the synthetic skin which is a type of an artificial skin also provided to us for our practice.

Biting my lips, I slumped my shoulders feeling tired suddenly. I was a bit disappointed for not being able to get it right after trying for so long especially in front of Dr. Daniel who had again stopped by the lab and was watching me quietly as I struggled.

He disappeared and then returned with a tray with few instruments and other materials as he sat down beside me pulling a seat.

"Let me show you few things."

He said as he wore a pair of gloves and got himself ready.

"Allright. Lets start with the very basics.Shall we?"

He asked looking at me. I simply nodded my head in reply.

He began," First of all its important to choose the right instruments. Your needle holder should be appropriate for the job. A large one will damage a small needle and a small one cannot manage a large needle. Also choose the right surgical needle. Hold your needle in the tip of the holder and grasped about two thirds of the way back from its tips............"

He went on explaining starting from the very basics which we sometimes ignore but are infact very important things which we always have to keep in mind. From the choice of needle to the types of suture materials he was refreshing my knowledge and suprisingly I was able to grasp all the points because he was explaining in a clear and concise manner.

All the while, I nodded my head in agreement and asked him few things in between that I was doubtful about.

I saw his hands move swiftly as he demonstrated the various suture techniques to me making it look quite effortless and clean.

"Your turn"

He told me waiting for me to show him doing the stitches myself.

Taking a deep breath and remembering exactly how he did them, I showed him the different types of stitches starting from a continuous one to a mattress suture.

"Thats good."

He replied giving me an approving glance. After the sutures, we went on to the tying knots beginning with a half hitch, the reef or a square knot and moving to the difficult ones like the surgeon's knot.

"Here comes the tricky part."

He said as he showed me the knots using the needle holder instead of his hands.

It was my turn again so I began after taking a tissue bite with the first throw by wrapping the end of the suture around the needle holder. The wrapped end then slides off the end of the needle holder on to the second end of suture.

"Steady your hands and don't hold the needle holder that tight."

He said while holding my hands as I tightened the throw by pulling on the ends of the suture along with him.

"Now the second throw."

He told me while I wrapped the suture end again on the needle holder, his hands carefully guiding mine as I completed the remaining steps snugging in the knots securely.

"That was easy!"

I exclaimed excited that I was able to tie a neat knot without fumbling or struggling. He was still holding my hands so I glanced at him wondering what had happened. Our eyes met and then suddenly he stood up from his seat, letting go of my hands.

"Keep practicing."

He said while peeling off his gloves without looking at me. Then he abruptly exited the room leaving me confused.

"Did I do something wrong?"

I mumbled to myself perplexed by his sudden behaviour. Maybe the knot wasn't good enough for him.

He is really good. Isn't he? I told myself remembering those skilled hands. No wonder, he is one of the best surgeon in town. I don't know if I will be able to get as close as how he does it but I have to keep practicing like he told me I thought feeling determined.

*******************************************************************

A/N

I am thinking of uploading one more chapter tonight if I am able to edit it. My chaps are short because I am still using my phone to upload. I am so use to it & comfortable with it.

Thank you for reading :))