62

Zoe pressed her forehead into her desk as Karen walked into her office, "I don't think I can handle this trial

Zoe pressed her forehead into her desk as Karen walked into her office, "I don't think I can handle this trial."

Karen sighed softly before closing the door gently behind her, "How so?"

"Just-" Zoe turned looked down at all the crime scene photos, "-we are defending a murderer. There is no doubt about this either. He has shot and killed so many people. He's psycho, Karen. He's psychotic and... I like defending good people. People that deserve it but this man... he doesn't. He's hurt people."

"I-" Karen blew out a lot of air, "This is a safe space for open conversation. Okay? In no way am I starting an argument or wanting to start one."

"Alright. Thank you for starting like that."

Karen pulled the hair out in front of Zoe and sat down with her, "I can understand why Benicia wants to help Mr. Castle. To him he is getting revenge for what happened to his family. He... He could be wanting closer, I'm not sure because I'm not him. But... I just-I know-" She released a long sigh as she tried to find the correct words, "I don't know what I would do if that had happened to me. Or... what if that happened to you? All of here in this office gets murdered and covered up like it never happened. I don't believe you'd go as far as killing people, but that feeling. That anguish... It's a different kind of raw."

"Fine... I guess... I can give him that at least." Zoe crossed her arms over her chest, "I just can't excuse the murder."

"I get it." Karen mumbled and brought her elbows onto the table, "I don't exactly excuse it either. I just... If you didn't know the details to my murder, wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to try?"

"I get Frank wanting to do this trial, sure. But Benicia-"

"Benicia has been through a lot." Karen whispered, "She... I just believe that she feels bad for him and wants to help. It's as simple as that. She doesn't like the murder, either, you know."

"I know-" Zoe huffed out and pushed her hair from her face, "I know. I-This trial doesn't sit right to me. That's just it. We don't have to agree on this."

"And that's okay." Karen nodded her head and reached out to grab her hand, "I know you're also worried about what Reyes will do to our firm because of this. That's an understandably perfect reaction to the situation."

"This is my life, Karen." Zoe admitted, "I poured my heart and soul to get here. College was torturous."

"Let's just believe that this will end on a good note." Karen rubbed her thumb over Zoe's knuckles. "Alright? I mean, obviously your life will be just fine with me in it."

"Oh, my God-" Zoe ended up laughing and released her hand, "Oh, my God! Where did that huge ego come from?"

"The moment we met." Karen teased with a sly grin, "I'm only kidding... partially."

Zoe shook her head and got up from her desk, "You're ridiculous."

"You're the only one to think that." Karen just leaned her arm on the backrest and glanced up at Zoe as she walked around the desk, "I'm glad we can talk about serious topics without fighting."