The Bifrost

We had decided we would ride the Bifrost to Asgard from the compound rather than the tower. It would be slightly more discrete that way, and there was space out in the country for the repeat arrivals of the bridge without disrupting or damaging anything. The others spent the morning gathering the things we were taking with us into the circle we were leaving from while also telling me I had to take it easy. By mid-afternoon things were ready and we all gathered together around the circle. Everyone had a backpack full of things, and there were a few other pieces of luggage in piles around the edge.

"Come gather 'round, family," Thor said, gesturing to us to come close. "As there are so many of us, we shall do this in groups of five. The last thing I wish to see is someone being knocked off the bridge due to crowding. When one group is gone, the next five gather to the middle and call Heimdall. Do not move until the bridge has come. He may not be able to act immediately and it would be unpleasant to have one of you caught in the edge of it if you decided to wander around." He looked at Paul and Teddy. "Paul, Theodore, as neither of you have ever traveled by Bifrost, I have placed you in separate groups, but stay in the middle. It is a shock to the system. Just hold steady and trust it. If you must, hold the hand of someone else. We do not want you to fall."

"Is that likely?" Paul asked.

"No, but it is possible," Thor said. "Particularly if you flail about, and beyond the bridge, there is a void that exists outside of space. It is not a place you wish to be trapped."

"What about the kids?" Teddy asked.

"They shall be held by one of us," Thor said. "Ziggy, you come with me. Anna with your grandfather Bruce."

Both nine-year-old twins moved to their prospective grandparent's side. "Bruce, will you be able to handle both Anna and that trunk?" Thor asked.

"No problem at all. I have two hands," Bruce said, ruffling Anna's hair. "You'll hold tight, won't you?"

"Yes, grandpa," Anna giggled.

"Steve, you take Zak, Samuel, take Piper, and James, take Flynn," Thor said. "If you can take a bag with you, do so, but don't do it if you're in any way doubtful. I can always send people back to retrieve them." Thor looked around and counted everyone. "Elise, Marya, Clinton, and Rebecca with me. Then Samuel, Paul, Rose, Natasha, and Wanda. James, Thomas, Sarah, and Bruce. And finally Steven, Theodore, William, Wanda, and Anthony. Any questions?"

When no one had any, we moved into our groups. Thor picked up Ziggy and the boy wrapped his arms around Thor's neck. "Make sure you hold on tightly, Ziggy," Thor said.

"I will, grandpa," Ziggy said.

"Elise, come, hold on to me. I don't want you to stumble when we land," Thor said.

I came and wrapped my arms around his waist and after quickly surveying the area, he looked up. "Heimdall," he boomed. "We are ready!"

A sudden beam of light crashed down on us, and we were all jerked up suddenly. Thor held me steady and when we landed in the Himinbjorg, he held me up so that I didn't fall and then quickly moved us away from the entrance as Heimdall turned the sword and closed the bridge behind us. "Thor," Heimdall said, approaching us. "It's good to see you."

"And you, my friend," Thor said, letting me go to embrace Heimdall.

When they pulled apart Thor put Ziggy on the ground and held his hand. "Everyone is waiting for you on the bridge," Heimdall said.

We walked out as Heimdall returned to the eye of Himinbjorg, and activated it again. Three carriages were waiting on the bridge with almost twenty guards. Loki, Pietro, and Angela were all standing together and they all approached as we stepped outside. They were all dressed in royal finery. Angela wore intricate gold armor from head to toe, adorned with short satin skirts in a green so dark it was almost black and a back cape with white fur lining the shoulders. Her winged crown sat on her head, her red hair cascading out from under it, and around her, as if they had a life of their own, ribbons in a striped gold and red fabric swirled about. Loki was in his usual gold and black leathers, with his gold horned helm on his head. While Pietro wore a black cloak over blue leather armor adorned in silver.