Her life had taken a turn for the worst. Lydia had increased her brutality and made the poor lad suffer the effect of being an orphan in a hostile environment. She was ten now and Lydia's wickedness to her only increased every passing day. Francis never objected to his wife harsh treatments. Amarachi had totally become a maid in her father's house. Nne was the only one who stood as a family to her.

"Amarachi you are still washing? You are so lazy ehn. See wash these clothes too"Ogechi rudely instructed as she dumped more clothes for her to wash. Amarachi looked up to face Ogechi who eyed her and hissed.
She never knew why Ogechi's attitude towards her became so sour and bad.
Ogechi always insulted her, made fun of her in class and bossed her around at home. She sometimes wondered if Ogechi was really her cousin.

"Ogechi please can't you join me so we can wash these clothes faster. Night is almost approaching and you and aunty lydua keep on adding more clothes. Since I came back from school I've been working. Please now Ogechi"Amarachi pleaded as beads of tears covered her forehead.

Ogechi stared at her before chuckling falsely. "So I should come and join you and wash abi? My mummy told you to do work you want me to do it abi? Ok now. Let me go and tell my mummy you want to pass the chore to me"

Amarachi's eyes widened and she immedately began begging Ogechi not to go tell aunty Lydia as the repercussions would be more and more harsh treatments.

The gate then swung open and Nne walked inside, her one hand clutching on to a polythene bag. She had a small store where she sold food items. Immedately she saw the heap of clothes Amarachi was washing, she quickened her steps. Ogechi rolled her eyes knowing fully well Nne would somehow stop Amarachi from working.

It annoyed her to see Nne always preferring Amarachi to her. It irked her deeply and it only made her jealousy for Amarachi grow.

"Bia(come) what is going on here? Amarachi why are you washing these plenty clothes?"Nne asked as her eyes scrutinised everything.

"My mummy said she should wash it Nne"Ogechi grumbled as she scratched her head nervously.

Nne let out a shriek and her hands stood at akimbo. "This plenty clothes is what your mother told this small girl to wash?"

Ogechi huffed. "What is there if she washes it now? Is it hard?"

"Ok why don't you join her and wash the clothes?"Nne asked in irritation.

Ogechi shook her head. "My mother said she should wash it not me"

Nne was so perplexed by the workload lydia placed on young Amara.
"Where is that your stupid mother!?"she exclaimed in anger which got Ogechi and Amara startled.

At that moment, Lydia walked out of the house, her dagger eyes glaring at both Nne and Amarachi.
"What is it old woman? Why are you shouting and ranting?"Lydia scoffed.

"You are very stupid Lydia! See the clothes you are giving this girl to wash? How can you give a ten year old this much clothes to wash?"Nne retorted back.

Lydia repeatedly eyed Nne. She was burning with rage. "Old woman what is your problem with me? You are old you won't sit one place, is to be putting mouth in what doesn't concern you! Aren't you tired!?"

Nne ignored Lydia's taunts and dragged Amarachi from the stool she was seated on to Lydia's surprise.
"Come my daughter. Don't mind this wicked woman"

"Nne you are trying me o. You are trying me in this house o!"Lydia exclaimed. Nne hissed at her and faced Amarachi, wiping off the luminous beads of sweat on her forehead.
"Come Amara. I bought boiled corn and pear. Come and eat and go bathe ok" Nne softly said to the tired child before taking her inside.