Chapter 16

AMARACHI

"God I'm so tired"I thought to myself as i stretched my arms. Little darkness still covered the horizon as i dropped my last bucket of water. It really isn't easy for me. My whole body was aching me after that countless trips to Mrs Justice house.
   I proceeded to sweeping the entire compound. After that i washed the plates and washed any dirty clothes available.
  It was already 7 once i had finished my entire housechores. I quickly made way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast of plantain porridge.
  I heard footsteps approaching behind me as i peeled the plantain.
  I turned around and saw Aunty Lydia.
"Aunty good morning" I immediately greeted. I didn't want yesterday's event to repeat itself. I just wanted to be on my best behaviour today.
  She totally ignored my greeting and scrutinized the surrounding, pacing to and fro. I could tell she was surprised that i finished the entire house chores before she woke up.
   "Have you washed the clothes and swept the house?"she asked, her menacing gaze fixed on me.
  "Yes aunty i have"i noded.
   She eyed me.
   "Fetching of water nko?"
   "Yes aunty i have. I'm about to preparing breakfast now"
  Aunty lydia was utterly speechless. She eyed me for some seconds and left.
   I was so relieved. I exhaled deeply. I didn't even know i was that tensed by just her appearance.
  I continued preparing breakfast. If i was lucky, i could eat before going to work.

******
I carried a plate of plantain porridge in a tray outside, setting it ontop of a plastic table under the umbrella mango tree in our compound. It was for Nne. She wanted to eat outside and i also planned on eating with her too. The thought of spending time with Nne got me smiling to myself.

"Mama come and see o"
That was Ogechi's voice. It was coming from inside the room. I wondered the news she wanted to spill to her mum this time. She came outside and called out to her mum.
"Amara is a big thief" She exclaimed.

My eyes widened at the mention of my name.
What is happening again?
I immediately turned around to see ogechi carrying my bag.
How dare she?!
Anger coursed through me as i went to ogechi. I immediately snatched my bag from her.
She was so shocked on my reaction.
"Amara are you..."ogechi began to say but i immediately cut her short.
"Ogechi don't you have sense?"
"Is this bag for you? Why would you touch my things without asking me?"I added in an angry tone.

   Ogechi stared at me perplexed and burst out laughing, clapsing her hands together.
"You've grown wings now!"She retorted back at me.

"What's going on?"Aunty lydia asked with visible frown on her face as she came outside.
  "Mummy see what i found in Amara's bag"ogechi replied with a smirk.
I clutched to my bag  but aunty lydia gripped it out of my hands.
She unzipped it and searched until she brought out two thousand naira from it.
  What is all these now?
Aunty lydia stared at me as she brought the money to my face.
"Amara what is this?"she asked surprised.

"Aunty that's my money now"i lamented.
I was saving money to buy jamb form. What is wrong in that?

"Oh you still have mouth to talk abi? You are still stealing abi?"

Stealing?no!

"No no aunty i didnt i swear. I have been saving that money. Besides what was ogechi looking for in my bag now?"i replied surprised by my own boldness.

Ogechi immediately slapped me.
I held on to my cheek in surprise.
Did she just slap me?

"Ogechi go inside find anything i can use to flog this girl"Aunty lydia said as she held on to the two thousand naira.

My eyes were already getting watery.
What did i do again?
Why were they always looking for a means to punish me?
I knelt down trying to beg aunty lydia but she pushed me to the floor.

Ogechi brought a turning-stick for garri and handed it to aunty Lydia who immediately started using it on me.
  I screamed in agony as more and more strokes kept on hitting my body.
  "What..what..what is happening?"Nne said as she stepped outside with her working stick supporting her steps.

  "Leave my amara alone! Bia leave her!" Nne shouted as she saw what aunty lydia was doing to me.
She tried walking over to me but ogechi pushed her out of the way and Nne fell letting out a cry.

  "Uku mo(my waist o)" nne kept on crying repeatedly.
Fear coursed through me and a wave of panic engulfed me as i quickly pushed aunty lydia off me and ran over to nne.

  "Ogechi has killed me o"Nne cried out.
I turned to face aunty lydia and for once i saw fear written over her face.
"Go and call your father fast"Aunty lydia said to ogechi who scurried inside and seconds later come out with uncle Francis.

  Nne was carried into uncle Francis car and driven to the hospital as she kept on lamenting and crying.
"Nothing should happen to my Nne please. God she's the only one i have. If anything happens to her I'll die. Please save my Nne"