ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕆𝕟𝕖 ℍ𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕆𝕟𝕖

Start from the beginning

I didn't know what she went through while Vincenzo and Alaric had her. I only got a brief glimpse of the memories of a couple spirits. I didn't know if she was one of Vincenzo's experiments, or if she was pumped full of medicine, or even if she was tortured at all. I knew she watched them kill Jason. But everything else? I didn't want to know.

It wasn't because I didn't care. Oddly enough, I cared more than I liked to admit. I just couldn't do anything to ease the pain of her memories.

"She killed Vincenzo and Alaric," Kieran said to her.

It wasn't just Selene who turned wide eyes on me. Many others did too, like maybe they couldn't believe I could have done such a thing.

I killed Vincenzo for my mom. I didn't do it for the spirits in the house, I didn't do it for my heart, I didn't do it out of spite. I did it because I walked into that house with the mindset that, if anything had happened to my mom, he'd die. The rest of the vampires who were killed were merely cannon fodder to me in those moments.

I kept silent. There was nothing to say. I could have boasted about my revenge, or explained how he looked as I killed him. But it wasn't something to brag about, and even though I didn't really regret what I had to do, I didn't want to revisit it either.

"I don't want to assume that it was done for me," she finally said, breaking the silence. "But I want to thank you anyway. Even though they left me to be found by Kieran, I always wondered if they'd come back one day."

I nodded. I was afraid they'd go after my mom again if I let them live also. I wouldn't be able to live with that fear every day, thinking my mom was always in danger. I couldn't imagine the fear they would feel, always having to look over their shoulder.

"So," Paul leaned forward, "I understand you want to bond with her, and that's all well and good, but I don't think many of us will be fine with her also mating with two werewolves."

Here we go.

I didn't react, though I wanted to tell him to fuck off. I let Kieran do what he needed to do.

"Oh?" Kieran raised his eyebrows. "You don't believe it could be beneficial for us to have wolves on our side? I know a few of you are racist towards other paranormals, but in this day and age, you'll either need to buck it up and get over yourself, or get the fuck out of my clan."

I couldn't stop myself from blinking in shock, but I didn't think anyone was watching me anymore.

"Racism has, and will always be a problem." He crossed his arms. "Whether that be between paranormals, or even the color of your skin. Neither will be tolerated within my clan."

Paul's face screwed up and he opened his mouth to reply.

"I'd suggest reflecting on your morals." Kieran tilted his head towards me. "You're fine with her being bonded to me? Fun fact, Paul. She's half vampire. But that's okay? Is it because of that part of her that's vampire, or is there some other reason?"

He tapped the side of my foot with his. It was subtle, and I doubted anyone even noticed it.

Paul shook his head. "No, I don't care what she is. I don't even care who she screws. I just feel like she should be bonded to one person. Have her choose. If her wolf clan is fine with her fucking and mating two of their pack, fine. But a lot of people here won't be okay with it if you bond with her also. That's all I'm saying."

"I'm getting mixed signals from you," I finally said.

He looked at me.

I kept my eyes on him. "Is it the fact that you want Kieran to be bonded to someone wholly his, or is it the fact that his bond will also be mating with two werewolves? I'm not completely clear on your problem here."

Mateo shook his head. "It's because you're a skank who can't just fucking choose one person."

"I didn't realize you were Paul," I said, voice calm. "My apologies."

He scoffed.

"The thing with that," I slid my eyes over to meet with Mateo's, "if your master doesn't have a problem with it, why is it any concern of yours?"

Someone laughed. "True shit."

I didn't know who said it, but I smiled in the general direction of where it came from before looking back at Mateo. He looked pissed.

"Now," I let the smile turn into a grin, "if it's the fact that I'll also be mating with werewolves, I will be more than happy to show you the door myself. You do not, under any circumstance, belittle my pack. Ever. Whether I am there to hear it or not, any negative comments or actions towards them, will be taken care of accordingly. And just as I stand up for them, I will do so for you as well. As far as I'm concerned, I only see two people here who really have a problem with Kieran's decision."

He snorted. "Okay, half-breed. Those who aren't okay with her bonding with Kieran, and mating with Lucian and what's-his-face, raise your hand."

Only he and Paul raised their hands.

"Number one," I said when it was evident no one else was going to raise their hand, "his fucking name is Kyler. Number two, lower your hands or I'll break every single bone in them to the point you can't heal. Kieran doesn't tolerate racism, I don't tolerate bullshit. Get it together or get out. You're wearing on my last nerve."

Although they didn't look happy about it, both of them lowered their hands. I could feel Mateo's anger from where he sat, even as I turned and looked up at Kieran, who was grinning down at me with pride.

I gave him the thumbs up. Because I was cool, and cool people did that.

One group down. One to go.