Chapter22

"You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut."

Dr.Seuss

*****************

Ethan:

If anyone had told me three months ago that I would be acting the part of a father discovering the gender of his imaginary baby, I would have laughed in their faces.

I chuckled at the absurdity of my actions. I don't know why I liked seeing Nina pregnant with my child. Every word I said yesterday was the truth. That woman was playing with my head.

She was strong and wore a tough façade most of the time. But these last days, she showed me another side. She can be carefree and relaxed.

I don't even understand why Nina was the first thing I thought of this morning. Her face's details were engraved in my memory. I knew it wasn't the time for romance involvement, but my heart was acting on its own and not listening to the rational part of my mind.

I looked around my room and sat on the bed. After going to the bathroom and changing into blue jeans and a yellow polo shirt, I went to the living room the suite provided.

Lillian was sleeping soundly on the sofa. I knelt in front of her and started playing with her hair. She stirred and opened her eyes.

"Good morning," I said softly.

Lillian groaned and closed her eyes again. "Why are you bothering me? If it is not eleven in the morning, leave me alone."

"Come on! We can go out to have breakfast and catch up." I tried to persuade her.

"No way! Jasper wakes me at five in the morning every day. I want to sleep in today, please."

I decided to leave her alone and headed to my bedroom again since there was no way I could enter Nina's lair. She would pounce on me with no remorse.

I smiled at the thought and sat on my bed. Opening my bag, I brought out my book and started reading.

My lazy girls didn't wake up until it was past eleven.

"Good morning," Lillian greeted when I joined them on the kitchen' stools.

"Good morning, sleepyheads."

"We are not sleepyheads. I am tired and need to recuperate. Nina is pregnant and needs sleep so the baby can grow up healthy and nice."

"Not again," Nina whined with her head resting on her arms.

"Moreover, you should sleep together, so my nephew gets to know both his parents." Lillian continued ignoring how her comments were unwelcome.

"You won't live to see your nephew if you don't stop right now," I warned her sharply.

"What are you going to do?" Lillian asked in a sing-song tone.

"Calling Jasper for starter and telling him his student didn't learn the lesson," I answered, daring her to contradict me.

"You are mean." She pouted and stuck out her tongue at me.

Before I could comment on her childish behviour, a knock interrupted us. Maybe it was the service room bringing us our breakfast. I stood up and went to open the door.

I raised an eyebrow in surprise when I saw Enzo standing in front of the door.

"Hello, man," Enzo said in his usual calm voice.

"Hello, come on in." I invited him inside and closed the door behind us. "How come you are here?"

"We have things to discuss," Enzo answered mysteriously.