☆Goodbye☆

9 years ago

You and April rushed downstairs with panic written all over your faces and you still had bed hair. April on the other hand had well-kempt hair.

"Hey, you two! What's the rush?" Your dad came out of the living room after hearing heavy footsteps coming down the stairs.

"We overslept! The bus will be here any minute now and neither of us have showered or had breakfast yet!!"

"Y/N, YOU SAID YOU WOULD SET THE ALARM!!" April scolded.

"I did!!.... I just forgot to set it to AM."

"Well if that's the case, go take a shower now. I'll pack you both some snacks and put your breakfast in a container." Your dad said as he started putting on his favorite apron to start cooking.

*BEEP BEEP*

"Y/N! April! The bus is here!!" your dad called out.

You both came rushing down the stairs with a schoolbag filled with the necessities for the field trip. April went first to the bathroom so her hair was already dry. You, however, still had water dripping from your hair.

Your dad handed you both your lunch bags with your breakfast inside them.

"Do you two have everything you need? Extra shirt? Do you want me to pack more food?"

"We have everything, dad! We have to go or else the bus is gonna leave us!!" April opened the door, but before you two could take one step outside...

"Girls, you forgot something!" You both turned around with a confused look on your faces.

"What is it?"

"You forgot to say goodbye to your old man! It's rude to leave without saying goodbye!"

"Oh! Bye, Dad, We'll see you later!!"

.

.

.

"How was your field trip?"

"It was great!! There were so many animals! We got to feed some fishes and-" Your dad listened to April gushing about the experience, but he noticed you just quietly eating your food, not saying anything about the trip,

"Y/N? Did you have fun on the field trip?" You looked up from hearing your name being called and smiled.

"Yeah! I took tons of pictures of this dead cockroach I saw in the corner of this one room!" You pulled out the phone from your pocket and started showing him the pictures of the dead pest from different angles. 

Your dad chuckled when he watched the video of you picking up the cockroach and scaring your sister with it.

"I'm glad you two had fun! By the way, I'll be taking the night shift today at the Sister Location. They said there was a robot that needed to be fixed..." You frowned a bit since every time your dad took the night shift he would come back home tired as ever and just pass out on the couch. You always wanted to learn more about mechanics from him but the night shifts were always getting in the way of that.

Your father noticed your deflated figure and gave you a light pat on the head.

"Hey... I promise I'll teach you more stuff about mechanics once I get some rest after my shift, alright, nugget?" You beamed and enthusiastically nodded.
.

.

.

The next morning, your dad hadn't come home from his night shift at the Sister Location.

You entered the kitchen to get a glass of water but you saw your mom crying her eyes out on the counter and your sister pacing back and forth.

April noticed you and looked conflicted about whether now was the right time to tell you.

"April... what's wrong? Where's dad?" Your sister started crying and you went to comfort her while trying to get her to tell you what was wrong.

Once she broke the news to you, you couldn't say anything. 

Your dad's voice echoed in your ears.

"You can do it, Y/N!"

It felt like the world had stopped turning. Why is this happening? Why do you feel like this?

"I'm here for you, Sweetie..."

The moments you had with him kept flashing in your mind.

"You're doing amazing!"

Your heart rate increased, and it felt like you couldn't breathe. This is all just a bad dream.

"I'm so proud of you!"

You wanted to scream. You felt so alone.

"You know you're amazing... right?"

.

.

.

.

You stood above his grave, staring down at the tombstone with your father's name engraved in it. Tears streamed down your face but your eyes held a blank expression.

. . .

"Hey, Dad... you forgot to say goodbye... like you said- 

It's rude to leave without saying goodbye..."

A/N: Updated February 22, 2022

(Lmao 22/02/2022, and today is a Tuesday! What are the odds)

*cough*

Sorry for the sad extra scene

Here's a meme-