A large eye peeked from behind her.

A tingling sensation at her back made her quickly snap her head to her backside and she came upon the large eye. It was an awfully large eye when seeing it for the second time. She raised her torch towards it for a better view. She was only able to see it for a nanosecond before it moved away. What followed was a series of loud pitiful cries of wounded animals. But Denise didn't have the heart to be concerned.

The cries faded into silence after a while. Just as she had expected, violent hitting came but it was from the end opposite the flames by the doorway.

Denise held the torch close to her. She triumphantly made conclusion. The monster seemed to be able to go through things but somehow also touch them. It gave off the sense that it was intelligent and would be able to think of a way to get to her. If not for the flame, what else was stopping it?

Why not enter if it could go through matter? Why not use the easiest route if it could?

Denise gave a small laugh in relief. "Well, that was anticlimactic."

Denise; hahaha (imperial laughter) an entire monster and all I needed was a matchstick to scare it off. Hahaha. No one is greater than me indeed.

(A/N; imperial laughter; laughter that sounds majestic but fake/ fancy but fake laughter.
Normal laughter is; popopo. Akikikiaki. Siisisisi. Hihopolopo.)

Small devil over her shoulder; why don't you go out to test your theory? You could also go out and see the monster you've been running from.

Denise, who had watched enough horror movies to have sense, acted deaf towards that thought.

Denise; hear no evil. see no evil. do no evil.

She could already imagine what would happen if she went out; a sudden gust of wind would blow out the flame of her torch and the rest was history.

The only thing that would force her out at such a time was getting another torch from the burning fire. Otherwise, she would stay put.

The rest of the night was filled with animal whimpers, and small human-like screams. The violent hitting of the tree didn't stop until very late into the night. The sleep deprived Denise kept her eyes open for the life of her. By the time morning came, her eye-bags hung as low as her chin.

When the fire of her branches went dim, she moved the stones aside and raised the leaf at the entrance. The morning sun greeted her as the fog receded to wherever it came from. 

Leaving the entrance wide open, Denise went back in and had a good rest- until the wolf came to drag her out.

He moved her and dumped her in a relatively wide clearing. Mark! Because he was dragging her by the neck, Denise nearly suffocated her life away.

What was it that he had said about saving her before? Whether it was a game of saving or hoping to kill before he could save, no one would ever know.

It seemed that he had quickly gotten used to the fact that she would ultimately survive the night.

She cupped her neck but didn't have the energy to glare at him.

"Whhaaaaat!" she asked with a sleep laced voice.

"Have you prepared all that I said?" he asked.

Denise's heavy eyes blinked one after the other.

"What are you talking about? Why would I collect anything?" Her words had come out slurred and her eyes were continuously drooping.

The wolf watched as she comfortably laid on the ground to sleep and his face scrunched up. Without any warning, he barked loudly.

Denise sprang up with a start. Her heart nearly tore in two. All the sleep quickly dispersed from her eyes.

She looked at the wolf's human formed and found herself both irritated and awed by the fact that he was able to bark that loud as a human.

"The things, yeah! What did you say I should get again?"

Surprisingly, he answered without complaint, "glow-cap mushrooms, silverwhip, peaseblossom, silkweed, chinTai needles."

"What the hell are those? Why can't you get them yourself? We both want to see this beast God," she asked.

He ignored her question and said, "I will give you three days to retrieve them."

Denise wanted to close her ears, half expecting him to complete with a 'or else I'll kill you' but that never came. Instead, the wolf vanished from her sight just as he had done the previous day.

(A/N; this wolf reminds me of the professors at school. Always giving half arsed notes, not explaining the half arsed notes, telling the students to research, not giving exact references to the books and yet the library is so fvc'n big. Let alone finding the sections for the books, some books don't talk about/ explain what your looking for and Library books can't be taken out yet the research work is like 1200 pages worth. The online library is crap.

aiiiii (;'༎ຶД༎ຶ') this author has undergone so much emotional damage)

Denise sighed, "Now what?"

Where would she start looking for things that sounded so unfamiliar to her?

She scouted the forest for any odd looking vegetables. She looked around for alternative food as she tried to catch sight of whatever it was he told her to take to him.

As her pig luck would have it, she found nothing. Even the ordinary mushrooms she had looked down on before seemed to disappear as though they were retaliating for not being eaten.

That night, when the fog's companion came, Denise had surrounded the tree house with four large fires. She was tucked safely inside with a torch in hand and listening carefully.

In the morning, she slept peacefully, surprised that the wolf didn't come around to bother her.

She searched around on following day, purposely avoiding the darker parts of the forest. With every step she took, she felt that the trees were watching her. It didn't help that the trees were everywhere.

She felt that the forest was dead yet alive somehow. What made that conclusion even more unbearable was the moist spot of land she found.

The soil around the area was warm and wet. It thumped up and down with the regular pattern of a heart beat.

Denise, the science student, didn't waste time being curious. She used the legs that her mama gave her.

In her defense, she always liked physical sciences and not biological.

Note; friendly reminder, please add this book to your library so that you can get notifications on updates. Or you can show your support by tapping that star. Your effort is truly appreciated. Tysm. Kisses-muah! muah!