Mine

Denise immediately dropped the rock and grabbed smaller one off the ground as the darkness covered everything.

She started hitting the two rocks against each other. The warmth from weather had only been enough to dry them partly. She hadn't even thought of where to put the flames yet, with everything still wet.

Soon enough, sparks started to fly. They skipped off the rock onto wet ground where they were extinguished. She continued to struggle and the sparks became more prominent.

"Come on, please," she begged, unconscious of the quiver in her own voice.

She raised her head to look for some twigs in the darkness. Just then, she hit the two rocks together to create some light. Instead of a dark forest, the embers lit up a large eye with golden irises, mere inches away from Denise. It was so close to her face, she could easily make out the multiple slits that make up the iris.

"AH!" Denise let out a sharp scream and scrambled away from her station on her knees. She got onto her feet and started to run.

She had no idea how long it had been there. It seemed to have been particularly interested in the flames but then it turned its attention to her.

She couldn't imagine how big it had to be for its eye size to compare to her height. Or how something so big would escape her notice as it moved.

Somewhere along the way, she slipped and fell. She stood, planning to run some more but what for? It was so dark that she couldn't see. She wasn't even sure what was chasing her. Maybe she should just give in an let it end.

Everything happened so fast. From the darkness, to the eye and finally her resolution to face her new fear. All the the thrills were sure to kill her any time sooner. But was there a point in living through all of them?

She waited for whatever it was to find her. She waited; one minute, two minutes.

She was breathing hard but trying not to breath. Her mind was still in the middle of an explosion. Her blood was rushing all over her body making her feel uncomfortably hot especially around her ears. Her hands were shaking against her skin while her nails took every chance to dig into her thighs. Her anxiety was eating a full course though her.

Somewhere between all that, she felt a slow cool touch, lightly trace the curve of her back. It came from what felt like a tip of something. Something like a finger but more needle like. Tracing her skin as if to explore, as if it were trying to be sure.

Denise started to choke on her own breath. Her lips moved as she whispered for help to God knew who. The stimulus gave her palpitations. For some reason, she remembered the time when she used to laugh during horror movies. Well, she really wasn't in the mood to laugh.

She heard something. It was quite unusual, like a mix of  animal noises. She heard squeaks, growls and whines.

She wondered why she had to have such a firm mind. Why couldn't she be like the girl's she read about and just faint when the situation became too overwhelming? Just faint 24/7 and be picked up by a kind hearted loaded daddy who suffers from abandonment issues. And all she had to do was spray pink bubbles everywhere for everything to be okay.

Denise started to fantasize about such a life. Suddenly appearing in a new place- faint. Meeting a werewolf- faint. Escape- faint. Kidnap- faint. Fall down lightly- faint. Too much disbelief- faint. Sneeze- faint.

Such a life, she could only dream of. She was so wide awake, she felt like she must have been begging for death.

"I found you- again," it was like a whisper. Like something caught in the wind, carried from far away but it pulled Denise's heart out.