Skylar

"I hope for you to be happy
And for me to never have to hear about it"

Skylar

"Hunter?" I mumbled as I traced circles on his hand. We are laying down in his bed. His room. His scent is everywhere it feels intoxicating.

"Hm?" He brushed my hair away from my face.

"Do you love yourself?"

"To a certain degree, yes. I'm not entirely obsessed with myself but I did come at peace with myself as a person" I laughed and hit his arm with mine.

"You didn't tell me you were a poet"

"Well, you never asked me." He shrugged and opened his drawer, taking a black notebook out.

"Wait, you're serious?" I questioned as I tried taking it but he moved his arm further away.

"Why? Is it bad that a guy can actually write?" I rolled my eyes while he looked through the pages.

"At least let me see. It's not like it's a secret if you keep it in a drawer."

"It is a secret since I don't bring anyone here." He mumbled the last part thinking I didn't hear it.

He looked through the pages while I admired his looks, his hair falling perfectly over his eyes as he studied the words carefully, making sure he doesn't spill a big part of himself on me.

"I wish there was a way
That I could swim an ocean
Without having to know how to swim." He read a paragraph while my head stayed in his lap, my eyes following his the whole time they moved between the sentences.

"What's the meaning behind it?"

"I don't know, I don't write to overthink the meaning of my work, I write what goes through my heart, not head." I wish I could stay here for hours with him and just listen to him talk and read his poems.

"Do you write often?" I wondered as he took his time to answer while looking away.

"Depends on...certain things"

"Like?"

"What happened that day, who was I with, did it have an impact on my future?"

"Are you like some type of reincarnation of Shakespeare?"

"Funny. Very funny." He rolled his eyes and closed the notebook, putting it back to its original place.

"So, why don't you love yourself, bunny?"

"First of all, stop calling me that, second, I just gave too much of myself to too many people till there was nothing left to give." He caressed my face with his thumb as I closed my eyes and let the outside world fade to dust.

"You like spending time with me." I hummed in response and let him give me the needed comfort in that moment. It's like I crave to be alone yet not lonely at the same time.

"You don't have to always pretend to be brave, Skylar." I got away from his touch as my knees got close to my face and my back was against the wall.

"Who said I'm pretending?"

"We all have a dark past that we don't wish upon our worst enemies. So, tell me, what's your pattern? What's the story that sculpt you this way?"

"My dad." That's all I had to say before I broke down and tears started spilling and my heart started hurting. It hurts to be weak. It hurts to care so much about someone that didn't care about being a father.

He suddenly came close to me and hugged my whole body. It felt as if he was hugging me tight enough to hug my 12yo self. I felt comfort and safety for the first time In years.