chapter 18

"this is life here, every day" the king said showing us around. it seems peaceful here, but overly peaceful. you know, for the apocalypse.

i didn't leave dad's side knowing we would be separated again soon, i wanted to spend as much time as possible with him. carl walked on the other side of me.

"but it came at a cost. i wanted more of this. i wanted to expand. to create more places like this. but men and women lost their limbs. children lost their parents. because i sent them into battle with the wasted when i did not need to" the king said facing us. "this is different", rick started.

"it isnt" the king said shaking his head. "it is. the dead don't rule us. the world doesn't look like this outside your walls. people don't have it as good, some people don't have it at all" rick said trying to correct the king. but it clearly wasn't working.

"i have to worry about my people" the king said standing his ground. rick gave up, and turned around to join the rest of us.

"you call yourself a damn king. you sure as hell don't act like one" dad said barging us. i nudged him in the side. "hush" i snapped at him. but it was too late, the king started walking over towards us.

"all of this came at a cost" the king said starting to get in dads face. carl grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him, away from dad. you never know what can come from dad's temper, everyone knows that.

"it was lives, arms, legs. the peace we have with the saviors is uneasy, but it is peace. and i have to hold on to it. i have to try. although the kingdom cannot grant you the aid you desire, the king is sympathetic to your plight. i offer our friend daryl asylum, for as long as he requires it. he will be safe here. the saviors do not step foot inside our walls" the king offered. i frowned looking over at dad. i knew this was coming soon, but i just don't want to leave dad.

"how long do you think that's gonna last?" dad said making a good point. he turned around to face me. "come on" he said beginning to walk away. and like always, i followed him. but shortly after us, everyone else began to follow us as well.

"alright open it up, we're gone" dad called out as our group approached the kingdom's gates. "you're not" rick said to dad. dad and i both stopped.

"i aint staying here" dad said arguing back. "you have to. it's the smartest play, you know that" rick said trying to convince dad.

"alright, but rae is with me" dad said trying to make a deal. "dad, he'll come after me. no matter where i'm at he's gonna want to find me. and if i disappear, he's gonna know i'm with you. and that ain't gonna turn out good for either of us" i said with tears welling up in my eyes. i just got dad back, and now i'm gonna have to leave again.

"can y'all stay at least for a few more minutes" dad said in a sad, desperate tone. "we have to go dad" i said shakily. without hesitation he pulled me in for a hug, the tightest one he's ever given me.

"this ain't forever, just for now. we'll be together again soon" dad promised me. "i know. i'll just miss you" i said barely keeping my composure. "i know baby. i know. me too. but it'll be okay. keep fightin'. lead this group the way you know how to. we'll find a way, i promise" dad said placing my face in between his hands so i would look him eye-to-eye.

"i will. i love you" i said grabbing his hands with mine. "and i love you, my cherokee rose" dad said giving me one last hug.

"carl, take care of our girl will ya?" dad called out to carl while letting me go. "yes sir, i promise" carl said with a smile.

authors note

sorry for the short chapters! still trying to get into the swing of things again.