chapter 17

the king invited us to stay at the kingdom, hesitantly we agreed. we wanted to make an arrangement with them, someway we could possibly beat the saviors together.

a few rooms with nice beds were offered to us. running water, electricity, and all. once everything has settled down, dad and i shared a bedroom. finally, for the first time in what seemed like forever, we got a moment alone.

"you alright?" i asked dad. "i am now" he said putting his hand on my shoulder. but i knew one thing was on both of our minds: negan.

"you never answered my question, did he do anything to ya?" dad asked with a protective tone in his voice. i looked away from him, i knew he was referring to whenever i went to the sanctuary. the guilt overtook me as i shook my head no.

"daddy he won't leave me alone" i said with my voice shaking. i've been so strong around everyone, trying not to let anyone see how i really feel about negan. i'm terrified of him, and i finally let it show in front of dad. "come ere'" he said grabbing me and wrapping his arms around me.

"talk to me baby, what happened?" dad asked softly. "he keeps telling me how much he likes me, that i should come live with him. i'm the first person he looks for, the first one he threatens" i said finally loosing it, grabbing onto the back of dads shirt crying.

"i know baby, i know. he'd rub it in my face too. saying how much he likes you and how he wishes you were his kid instead of mine. i 'ont know what his deal is. but i got ya. we all got ya" dad said gently, running his fingers through my hair as he did when i was a kid.

"i just want to stay with you" i said in between tears. "i know baby, i do too" dad said kissing the top of my head.

the next few minutes, we held each other in silence. not saying a word, just taking in eachothers presence. it feels like it's been so long since we've had one of these moments, just dad and i.

"carl won't leave you out of his sight, ya know that?" dad said after a few minutes had passed, a slight cheerful tone in his voice. i lifted my head off his chest and turned around to see carl standing a few feet from the door way. "come on in kid" dad called out, and carl sheepishly walked in.

"i just wanted to check on rae before we went to sleep" carl said in a nervous tone. i smiled. though our families had been together for years, carl still gets nervous around my dad. "go" dad whispered in my ear, gently pushing me to go towards carl.

as i walked over to carl, dad went into the bathroom that was connected to our room and shut the door. letting out a shaky breath from just crying, i held onto one of carls hands.

with carls free hand, he reached up and wiped the tear that had managed to escape from my eye. "did you talk to your dad about everything?" carl asked with concern in his voice. i nodded. "good" he said with a smile.

"did you just come to say goodnight?" i asked genuinely. "yeah but also something else" carl said beginning to fidget with my hand. he seemed nervous. "hey what it is?" i said squeezing his hand with mine.

"well when we were getting settled into bed, dad mentioned something about us. well he asked me if i ever officially asked you to be my girlfriend, and that's when i realized that i hadn't. but i already see you as my girlfriend and i try to treat you like you are, but i never actually asked you if you wanted to be my girlfriend. and i just wanted to make sure we're on the same page and-" carl said rambling on, but i cut him off by kissing him.

pulling away with a smile, i said "bout time you asked me. yes i will be your girlfriend".

authors note

hi im back :)