No Longer Friends?

Parker

   I couldn't believe what my dad just told me. I mean Amber's mom was the reason my grandma died. That, and she was always so mean to mom. I knew that I would have to talk to Amber about this and soon. 

Dad also told me that I needed to be the one to tell mom about Amber soon. He would not keep this from her for long. I wanted to talk to Peyton right now though. I went over and knocked on her door and her dad answered. 

"Hey, Parker, Peyton's out back on the swings."

I nodded my head and told him thanks and went to the backyard. Since our moms are so close, they didn't want a fence separating the yards, but they wanted privacy in the backyards. There is a long fence connecting the houses in the front with two gates on each side. So, the two yards are enclosed by one giant fence. 

I saw Peyton on the swings, and she looked happy which made me happy.

"Hey, Tink!"

She shook her head like she was in a daydream and looked up at me. "Hey Parker, I didn't hear you walk over here."

I sat down on the other swing. "How come you weren't at practice today?"

She looked at me like that was a stupid thing to ask. "Was Amber there today?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, but I didn't invite her."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Well, that's why I wasn't there. She is not very nice, and I didn't want to deal with her."

I sighed and kicked a little rock. "I'm sorry she isn't very nice. I don't think her mom is very nice, so she thinks that is the way to act around people."

Peyton looked over at me. "Is she at least nice to you Parker?"

I nodded my head. "Yea, she's always been nice to me. I will tell her though that she needs to be nice to you. I don't want you to be mad at me."

She shook her head. "I wasn't mad at you. I was hurt."

Oh great, I hurt my best friend, I feel like such a jerk! She kept on talking.

"I mean, I thought we told each other everything. But you didn't feel the need to talk to me about this and it just kind of hurt my feelings. I got over it though."

I stood up and reached my hand out to her. She grabbed my hand and I pulled her up and into a hug.

"I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings. From now on we tell each other everything ok?"

I felt her nod against my shoulder. "From now on we will tell each other everything, Parker."

I heard my mom call out to me. "Parker, come eat some dinner. Peyton, do you want to join us?"

Peyton called out to my mom. "No thank you! My dad and I are going to eat together. Thank you though!"

"Ok, I love you, sweetie. Come on Parker, before your dad eats it all!" I saw my dad pick my mom up and swing her around in a hug before pulling her inside.

I laughed but when I looked down at Peyton, she looked kind of sad. "Hey Tink, what's wrong?"

She shook her head and plastered on a fake smile. "Nothing, I am fine. You go eat and I will see you at school tomorrow."

I watched her walk into her house and close the door. Something was bothering her, and I wanted to know what.

Peyton

I know that I just lied to Parker's mom, but I didn't want anyone to know that my dad hasn't been home in a while. I mean he makes sure to be here when my mom is home, so I don't even think she knows he leaves all the time. He was getting ready to leave when Parker showed up and must have left after Parker came into the backyard.