twenty nine

Harry

"Hey, hey, hey. You're okay, lovebug." I softly coo in Lula's ear as I take her from Asher's arms and rest her on my hip. She cries and cries as the little cut on her knee weeps a small amount of blood. Instantly she is burying her face in the crook of my neck in search of some comfort.  I look down at her cut knee from her little tumble in the garden before I'm kissing her cheek. "Just a little cut, baby. Should we go fix you up?"

She nods her head in my neck. "Can I have ice cream if I'm brave?"

I laugh at her cheeky request as I take Albie's hand and walk us all towards the bathroom.

"You're staying with Uncle Asher again tonight so you need to ask him." I softly tell her and place her down on the counter before lifting Albie to sit beside her. Instantly, he is taking her hand and inspecting the small cut.

"Why?" She queries with a sniffle as I grab the first aid box.

"Because daddy has to get on a plane early tomorrow and sort some things out." I tell her and begin to sift through the first aid supplies in search of an antiseptic wipe.

"And your daddy likes to torture me." Asher announces from where he stands at the door, watching us all.

I laugh to myself whilst shaking my head. "You know, you offering to look after my kids really discredits your whole 'I hate kids' thing you've got going on."

"If I don't offer, you'll fire me." Asher retaliates before walking to stand beside Albie, ruffling his hair. "I don't mind them too much. They're easy, just gotta give them what they want."

"I want ice cream." Lula giggles which has Albie speaking up with a request.

"And nuggets!"

"How about I give you both ten dollars and you get neither of those things?"

Lula grins at Asher. "We can get ice cream with money!"

"And nuggets!" Albie adds on which has Asher hanging his head and groaning.

"They're smart kids."

"They're my kids, what did you expect?" I laugh before I'm drying my hands and ripping open the wipe. I take Lula's little leg into my hand and inspect the small cut, an action that has her holding her breath and watching with worried eyes. When I go to wipe her cut, she pulls her leg away and shakes her head, tears streaming down her face.

"No."

"Hey lovebug, it's okay. I just need to clean it so it can get all better." I gently tell her but she continues to shake her head.

"It hurts."

"I know, bug but it'll only last a few teeny tiny seconds and then you'll feel so much better. I promise." I reassure her, swiping her tears away with the pad of my thumb before I'm holding my hand out for her to take. "You can squeeze my hand super tight when it hurts."

"Me too." Albie says, swinging his legs as he squeezes his sister's hand.

Cautiously, she places her hand into mine too, holding onto us both and taking a deep breath. Hesitantly, I begin to clean the little wound, flinching as silent tears stream down Lula's face. She squeezes my hand with everything she has, her body shaking from the intensity and she doesn't breathe until I'm pulling the wipe away with a smile.

"I'm so brave." Lula announces through little sniffles whilst using her whole palm to wipe away her tears.

"Yeah you are." I respond before putting a little bit of cream on the wound and grabbing the box of character plasters, holding them out in front of her. "Do you want to pick a plaster?"