19

Due to Aria's absence, Loki had long pondered over what he would say to her if she were to return. But although he had told her he was glad she was back, something still seemed to be missing.

Despite still disguising himself as Odin, Loki allowed Aria to wander free around the palace under no illusion or surveillance - introducing her as he did to Tyr — "Arianna Válisdottir". He even enrolled her in basic combat training with one of the best warriors in Asgard.

"They call me Vör, remind me of your name again?"

"Aria Válisdottir" she answered.

"No need to be anxious, I'm only here to train you in basic combat for now" she smiled,
"Now come with me, I'll take you to the armoury"

Following Vör, Aria entered a large stone building just outside the training grounds in the city. As she stepped inside, her eyes immediately flew towards the swords lined along the wall. They all seemed rather intimidating.

"Wow, never seen a weapon choice draw someone's attention that quickly before" Vör chuckled, "so a sword is it? For you I think.."
she paced a few times scanning the swords,
"Long Sword, double handed. Try this one"

As the blade was handed to her, Aria lifted it high and admired the hilt, it's design complex enough for her to gaze at it for days and still be unable to become familiar with it's pattern. Her stare rose to see the blade itself, it's edge sharp enough to cut tension in the air, and on its fuller, was carved a line of ancient Norse.

"Ef andlát er koming, let þat munu með kourage" Vör recited from it, "it means, 'If death is coming, let it be with courage'. You couldn't wish for a finer blade, let us begin."

She taught Aria the basic sword anatomy before beginners combat with it, as Aria already knew hand-to-hand quite well due to her training with Loki and the Avengers, Vör saw it necessary to now begin mastering her ability with her sword.

'Omen' was it's name, and although she would've liked to have kept it, Loki gently explained that evening that the weapons in Asgard are not one's possession because of some artificial law or asking politely - they become bound to its user when their true value (if it is good) emerges.

"How in the heavens did anything 'bind' to you then" Aria smirked.

Loki let her have this one, just this time.
"Goodnight Loki" she smiled and turned to leave,
He watched her as she walked away and a cool breeze blew by him on the balcony where they were standing.
"Goodnight." He almost whispered, "Arianna"

He would never tire of hearing or saying that name.

The next day, Aria passed an old woman on her way back from the training grounds. Making sure not to get in her way, Aria looked over at the old woman and smiled. However instead of returning it, she did a double take and said hurriedly
"Völva?"
"Excuse me? I'm sorry but I don't know who that is"
Instead of replying, the woman clutched her cloak close to her chest and sped off past her.

"Huh, strange" Aria thought out loud.

Later on as her and Loki were catching up, she mentioned it.

"I saw a woman today", she began "she passed by me quickly and thought I was someone else"

"Really? Did she mention a name"

".. Well yeah.. Do you know of a 'Völva' by any chance?"

"No never heard of her, must have been an old friend of hers"

"Oh okay, never mind then I guess"

As Aria turned to leave, Loki looked up at the stars and thanked them for giving him the gift of illusion, for he cast one worried look at the distant mountains - one peak in particular - then turned around to join Aria's stride.

He knew that name.

"Listen up Goonies, this is serious. I'm talking end-of-the-world stuff" Tony started,
"Turn your heads to the screen right now. Natasha I'm not playing around right now"

"You literally began this talk with 'listen up Goonies'."

"Beside the point 'Kim-Possible' just look at the security footage from earlier."

Everyone in the conference room of the avengers compound reluctantly focused their attention on the screen to see static.

"Are we supposed to be seeing anything right now" Steve began,

"Don't be sarcastic Capsicle just wait"

Just then, the security footage appeared at the very moment Loki lifted Aria off the ground and threw her into the Bifrost stream. Tony rounded the corner to see everything and lunged forward, but he was too late as Loki was already leaping into the white light himself.

The bifrost disappeared and the footage ended.

"Shall I replay that or did you all get it?" Tony said.

"What the hell." Natasha spoke

"Yeah, that alarm Friday set off was for Loki, he broke in and made a bee-line for the kid which means.."

"Tony.." Bruce pleaded,

"Which means what?" Steve asked

"Which means he must've found 'Project Curunis' because the filing cabinet was left open too." Tony finished.

"Stark, what is 'Curunis'."

"It's just something I was-"

"-working on? Yeah, thats what you said about Ultron, Tony."

"Okay fine! When Aria had to do blood tests and stuff for basic information or some crap I was doing experiments of my own. I found something and looked into it. That's all."

"What did you find?"

"Her blood, Rogers. It's not.. well most of it isn't.. exactly...
-
-
Human."

"What?"

"I was just as confused as you are, and looking at her background I don't see how it could be possible, but her blood is.. alien. It does have a type match with someone in our system."

"Who?"

"Thor."

".. what the hell does that mean"

"It means Loki's got a lot of explaining to do.
But first we need a plan."

"A plan to what, get her back? If she's Asgardian surely she belongs there?" Natasha interrupted

"Maybe, but also maybe not. Maybe she doesn't even know she is Asgardian if she is that. And Loki's intentions of taking her with him might not have been for good. She could be in danger right now. And if she develops a pretty serious case of 'Stockholm's syndrome', we're all in even more danger."

"What do you mean?"

"You saw her on that mission, and in training. Her powers are growing by the day and right now the only person who could compete is Wanda. We need to save her before it's too late.
Are you in?"

...

"We're in."