Gone Tamarah {31}

Start from the beginning

"In fact, you look too beautiful. Take it off." I can tell by the tone in his voice and the smirk playing at the corner of his lips that he's joking. "What happened to my little surfing tomboy?"

"Nothing. I still am a surfing tomboy." I giggle as I place the wand back into the eyeliner well. "I just wanted to look pretty tonight. Is that a crime?"

"Yes, because it means you're growing up on me, and I'm already struggling with the idea that you're graduating in just a few months." Dad steps into the bathroom and wraps a strong arm around my shoulders before placing his chin on the top of my head. His embrace tightens, causing a slight ache in my chest to form. Being on the precipice of adulthood is both exciting and terrifying. I know the comforts of being a kid without responsibilities are quickly fading. Soon I'll be heading off to college, possibly sharing a dorm with some other girl, and dad will be here in this tiny house alone. "Alright, gorgeous girl, you've held us up long enough. We're already an hour late."

Dad urges me towards the bathroom door before I have a chance to protest. The nervous flutter of butterflies fills my stomach as my mind races over what I'm going to tell Zane.

When we get into the hall, I notice Dad patting his back pocket, "Shit, I forgot my phone. You head out, no more primping, and I'll get my phone."

I roll my eyes and head into the living room to snatch my jacket off the arm of the coach when to my shock, the front door swings open. I'm taken a little aback, and so is Tamarah, as she steps into the living room. I can tell by how her giant brown eyes widen that she wasn't expecting to see me here.

"Ollie, I-" She trails off before her dark eyes snap to the hall. Her whole body goes tight, and when I turn to look behind me, I realize why.

Dad's standing tight-jawed, gripping his phone in one hand and his leather jacket in the other. "What are you doing here?" His voice is filled with hurt and bitterness that makes me feel uneasy. The room shrinks in on us, feeling even smaller than it usually does. Even every breath I take seems forced and heavy, adding to the growing tension in the room.

"I-I just needed to pick up a couple of things I left here." Tamarah slowly closes the front door as my gaze darts between the two of them. We haven't seen her in two weeks, and I know dad's missed her. Probably even more than I have.

"So you decided to come here when you knew we wouldn't be home?" Dad scoffs as irritation floods his eyes. Dad steps to the side, unblocking the entrance to the hall, and gestures down it. "Go on, get whatever the fuck you need, Tamarah. Don't let me being home hold you up."

A deep line grows between Tamarah's brows as her thick, full lips tremble. I can't tell if it's hurt or anger, but both emotions seem to register on her face.

My chest tightens, and I can feel the air snapping with the anger both of them seem to be radiating out. I don't want them to fight, and a naive part of me thought that once they saw each other, they'd realize their both being dumb, and it'd be fixed.

"You know this isn't easy for me." She snaps at Dad.

I want to jump to Dad's defense. It's not like he asked for this, but I know I need to stay out of it and let the adults work it through. As their argument grows, dad steps farther into the living room, leaving the hall perfectly open for me to slip into my bedroom and away from this awkward situation. I know they need to work this out, but I'd rather not be an audience to it.

I slowly creep down the hall, slink back to my bedroom without being noticed, and shut the shouting out. Or at least muffle it some be the cheap thin door that separates my sanctuary from the rest of the house. I can still hear the raised tones, but the nasty words they're throwing around aren't as clear.