The Grand Escape {11}

After pulling Ollie in behind me and getting a good scolding from my dad for 'talking to my mom like that,' I'm forced to sit on the couch next to Ollie and pretend to hold a conversation with my mom

After pulling Ollie in behind me and getting a good scolding from my dad for 'talking to my mom like that,' I'm forced to sit on the couch next to Ollie and pretend to hold a conversation with my mom. Thank God, Ollie's here. She does most of the talking while I stare down at my black leather boots.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked my mom showed up. She seems to want to insert herself in the most inconvenient times. More than likely she saw my Facebook posts about getting patched soon and needed to make a big deal out of it. 

"Ugh." Mom slaps the top of her thighs and leans back into the green tweed recliner. "I just can't believe you're both going to be eighteen this year. It just seems like yesterday you two were bathing naked in the bathtub together."

I glance over at Ollie, waiting for one of her inappropriate-ill-timed jokes to come falling from her mouth. The one time I wouldn't mind for her to be her crazy self to embrace my mom, she, of course, keeps her mouth shut.

"Stop trying to embarrass them, Jane." Dad glances over at me and nods toward my mom. I'm sure he wants me to pipe up and say something, but what?

A heavy silence falls across the room. My mom shifts in her seat as her gaze darts between the three of us. She takes in a nervous breath before her attention finally lands on me. "So... how long have you and Ollie been dating?"

My brows rise in surprise. Wow, lady, you are so far off the mark.

"I always knew you two would end up together," Mom keeps rattling on. "You two were stuck together like glue, it was just a matter of time."

Dad chuckles into his cup of coffee, I'm sure, enjoying this odd moment.

"We aren't together, Miss Jane." Thank God, Ollie corrects her so that I don't have to.

"Oh!" Pure shock crosses my mom's face, though I'm not sure why it seems so far-fetched. "It's just with the way you were holding hands earlier and-" she stops and gestures with a thin finger to us.

I frown and glance at Ollie. Sure, she's leaning into me, and we're both relaxed on the couch together, but we've always chilled like this.

"Guys and girls can be friends without fucking, but I guess you wouldn't know about that." My words cut through the tension in the room and bring it shattering down.