recruitment

EDITED

Mirabelles POV

Im laying flat on my stomach reading my book when I hear my laptop Ding. My Econ report was supposed to be marked until monday morning. Maybe Prof reynolds is on top of his shit this weekend. 

I put the book down sitting up criss cross and pulling my computer onto my lap. When I open my email I have something new

Congratulations! You have been selected to interview for a full time assistant position at Lilith Foundations. Choose an interview date and time

That's weird... i didn't apply to anything

I click on the drop down out of curiousity. It gets the best of me and i select monday at 11am for an interview. Its friday and I want to go to this as soon as I can. I did not apply for this. At first I thought it was a scam like those nigerian prince emails, but this is the company that prof reynolds past students started. I want to be a part of it. This could be my foot in the door of this industry.

Sending it off and closing my laptop, i adjust myself so i'm laying on my back staring up at my ceiling. My commencement ceremony is not until the fall which is stupid but apparently it's how it works. I have until july 31st to get out of my dorm but i seriously want to get out of here sooner. My roomate is unbearable.

She vapes constantly, has her boyfriend over for sleepovers, doesn't clean... the list goes on. I'm sick and tired of having to pretend to be asleep while he fucks her. I guess i'm thankful that he only lasts like 2 minutes so it's always short lived.

Glancing back at my laptop i realize that this is it. This is what I have dreamt of my entire life. An out. I dont have to be that broken girl anymore. 

Im finally getting an opportunity to be working at an important company. Just because I would be an assistant doesnt mean that I wouldn't get experience. Its an entry level position with plenty of room to grow. 

-----

By monday morning im so excited I could barely sleep. Excited but nervous. What if I fuck it up and they decide they made a bad call so they dont go forward with my application? I get up early so I can stretch and have a good breakfast before I have to start getting ready. I wear my Hair in a tight braided bun, and I chose a black pantsuit with a dusty rose blouse to wear under the jacket. That paired with my black heels, Im a whole 5'3

My drive there isnt too long. I love my shitty car with my entire heart. I lived out of it for almost a year.  I live in north york and this office is over in the financial district so It will take me a while. No longer than it was while I was commuting to my job at walmart. Thank fuck i quit there. Ive been earning enough to keep my school loan office satiated. The job I currently have is working in the school cafeteria so I didnt know what I would do when school was over. This job isnt just needed in order for me to have a good career, I need this job to live or else its back to sleeping in my car.

When I get to the building I feel a pit in my stomach. Wow I am about to do this. I am confident. And I am also really scared holy fuck.

I push down my anxieties and I enter the building. A security guard stops me immediately and grips my upper arm stopping me from going any further.

"Yea kid, cmon you arent supposed to be in here"

"Oh uhm"

I try pulling my arm back but it doesnt work

"Sir, I am supposed to be here. I am 21, and I have a job interview with Ms quin and her associates."

He pulls back and raises his eyebrows in question.

"seriously, call them. Tell them that Ms. Finch is here"

he grumbles about how he isnt getting paid enough and goes to the phone on the security desk.

"Goodmorning Ms. Molland, sorry to bother you but I have a miss Finch down here claiming sh- yes ms molland. yes ms molland. Of course I will send her up now"

I smile polietly as he turns back to me squinting his eyes.

"Head on up. Its the 34th floor."

He points to the elevator and I walk through the lobby letting my heels click extra loud. Proves him right.

I get in the elevator thats walls are all mirrors and I press the 34th floor button. Wow 35 floors. Thats crazy. The 35th one needs a special key for the button to be pressed. The ride up doesnt take that long and soon enough I hear the chirpy ding before the doors slide open. I get out and there is a reception desk in front of me. I walk up to her and she smiles at me in a professional way.

"You must be Ms. Finch, It is very nice to meet you"

I am caught off guard. I am just here to interview as an assistant. Why is she treating me so special? The free campus therapist I went to wasnt even this bubbly.

"Oh its nice to meet you too..."

"Amanda. Would you like some water Ms. Finch, maybe a cappuchino? We do have almond and oat milk."

"oh you can actually just call me Mirabelle. And I am alright thank you"

she nods at me

"Alright mirabelle, the ladies are in boardroom 1 waiting for you. Its just right down there"

She points to an office at the end of the hallway.

"Okay, thank you amanda"

I take a deep breath organizing myself before I head off. I walk down the carpetted hall and knock gently before pushing the door open. It catches my breath a little seeing all of them staring at me. The all sit on one side of the table with one chair across from them.

"Goodmorning Ms. Finch, please take a seat"

I nod and walk over to the chair.

"Hello Mirabelle, I am willow"

willow smiles at me and I swear she radiates sun. Shes tall and has gorgeous brown eyes. She looks to be japanese. Willow has a comforting softness that eases my nerves. 

The lady that i was sarcastic to continued. I think her name was Quin.

"Ms. Finch, these are my associates. I am sure you remember them. Alexandria, catia, and youve already met willow"

I smile at each of them as I am re introduced.

"I am sorry to be so blunt, but I dont remember applying for this position"

She takes in a dep breath before clasping her hands on the table

"You didnt. We spoke with your professor afterwards and got your information."

I smirk a little giving them an amused look 

"do you offer all of the people who defy you a job?"

Her eyebrows raise and willow chokes a little on her water.

Quin ponders before giving me an answer.

"No, just the ones as pretty as you"

she looks me up and down and I blush.

"Oh, uh... Im not sure, I am n-"

"Im kidding. We spoke to your professor and he said you are one of his best students. Mixed with that stunt you pulled, figure it might be worth meeting you."

I nod my head and let out a breath

"oh. That makes sense"

alexandria butts in

"we need a new assistant. Our last one got married and quit. The position will need to be filled immediatley. We want you"

Hey besties I wanted to start something new so I could play around with it a bit. I am having a rough week ngl. I got laid off from my job cause of covid. I am okay though. Anyways I feel like this is gonna be good