However, all it really did was spark protective-Cas to life.

"Dean, you didn't abandon us. You didn't just up and run off to leave me with the kids. You're out there trying to protect this family and your brother from a demon." The blue-eyed man reasoned soundly.

There was another small pause where Dean seemed to contemplate his words.

"Most importantly, you're coming back." Castiel went on to say and then quickly added one more bit. "Besides, the kids aren't too much to handle."

"Cas, there are six of them." Dean said in utter bafflement. He loved the kids more than life itself, but being that severely outnumbered was still taxing at times.

"Yes, I'm aware of how many children we have accumulated, Dean." Cas said to his husband sarcastically. "What I mean is that it's not too bad, and it's worth it when it is. Jess and the others have been pitching in when it's needed, and Claire and Jack are always helpful."

"Well good, I'm glad." Dean commented truthfully, happy that his family was there to help.

Cas just gave a long sigh even though he wasn't actually annoyed. It was more of a 'I've-been-married-to this-frustrating-man-for-so-long-that-my-sighs-actually-have-minds-of-their-own' sigh.

"Talk to me, you stubborn man." He said with a hint of a smile in his voice, showing that he was honestly still a bit amused by how exasperating Dean could be.

The hunter really had no choice but to finally crack and tell him what was up.

"John's started drinking more lately and it's stressing me out even more on top of everything else. I mean, I never want a relationship with him again and I'll be glad when he's out of my life, but I wanted more for Adam." Dean explained and then added on in a solemn tone. "Adam deserved the father that I only had when I was too young to really remember."

He took a moment to collect his thoughts and think about how to word them, while Cas absorbed what had been said so far.

"I don't know where Adam is gonna land on wanting John in his life, but I at least hoped the man would put in some effort for the only shot at a son he has left."

"What else?" Castiel asked, knowing that there was more happening.

Dean gave a long sigh. This part was the hardest to admit, but he knew that he had to.

"I know that I'm not John, but I keep getting more and more anxious and stressed over this whole thing. Then I see John with a drink in his hand, and all I can think about for a second is how much I wanna join in." It was embarrassing for Dean to admit, but if anyone could help him feel better, it was Cas. "I'm not an alcoholic, but drinking to relieve stress is a slippery slope that I don't wanna slide down."

After explaining everything, Dean felt lighter. He was also nervous for his husband's response, even though he knew it wouldn't be too negative.

"Okay." Cas said slowly, not quite sure how to help with all of that. "I understand what you mean, Dean. I also appreciate you telling me and how hard you are trying not to become John, even though I know you never would." He started with a smile. "How about each time you want to drink, you call or text someone in the family. I would say just me, but then you'll say that you don't want to be a burden, and I'll have to lecture you about how you never are."

Dean couldn't help but laugh at that last part because Cas really did know him too well.

He was somewhat hesitant to agree to the idea, but it would probably help and that's all he really needed at the moment.

"Okay, fine. However, if I do that then you have to tell me a problem you're having so I can help."

It was a reasonable request that would make Dean feel less guilty about leaning on his family members and husband for his problems.