Believe in yourself.

We finish breakfast and hop into the car driving to campus together. Lucas and I part ways once we arrive in campus and I make my way to the classroom, my footsteps echoing through the hallways. My classmates are bustling about, arranging their notes and adjusting their presentation materials. The professor is standing at the front, organizing the projector and checking the time. The moment arrives and it's my group's turn to step into the spotlight but all we do is exchange glances, waiting for Seth to go to the front of the class and lead the presentation like we agreed. Instead he remains seated, fidgeting with his fingers under the desk.

"The members of group three, it's your turn. One of you to come take us through the assignment like the previous groups have done." The professor calls out for us, Seth still not standing up.

Then he turns on his chair looking behind him and facing me. "I can't do it, I'm nervous."

"I'm nervous too." I whisper back. The other group members are also avoiding our eyes. None of us is willing to go and present the assignment. Closing my eyes I take deep breaths whispering to myself what Lucas adviced me earlier today before opening them and rising to my feet. "Just wing it and believe in yourself."

I take the short notes we wrote for the presentation from Seth before stepping up to the front of the class, my heart almost pounding out of my chest at all the sharp eyes on me. Just wing it and believe in yourself. I start the presentation, illustrating my points on the white board with a marker. As I draw, I keep my explanations short, concise and to the point, ensuring that I'm audible enough for everybody in the class to hear. The more I speak the more at ease I become, finding a rhythm and flow in my delivery. The professor and fellow students are listening attentively, their eyes focused on the board and their expressions displaying genuine interest. This fuels my confidence more and with each passing minute, my voice grows stronger and assured. Towards the end of the presentation, I open the floor for questions, answering the ones I can and the professor answering the ones I find difficult and challenging to answer myself.

After fifteen minutes my presentation ends, the professor and all students clapping for me as I head back to my seat, my shoulders relaxing in relief since I've done well. "Ms. Lazano, your presentation has been exceptional. Great job." The professor says to me and a wide smile curves on my lips as he gazes at everyone in the class. "Lets give Ms. Lazano a well deserved round of applause for her outstanding performance." He adds and a louder applause erupts in the room. Ava holds my hand squeezing gently and smiling at me before letting go and looking ahead as the next group begins their presentation. I'm proud of myself.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

LUCAS.

"There are so many other places I would rather be right now." With a heavy sigh I slump back on my chair in the café I'm in with my bestfriends. The only place I want to be right now is back home with Quincy watching Spongebob Squarepants together or in the garage helping my dad fix cars. Instead I'm stuck here with my bestfriends.
Tk is sitting across from me with an oversized mint chocolate latte in hand, slurping it loudly to taunt me. He's drinking it like the overgrown child he is, doing it over and over again all while gazing straight at me, clearly waiting for me to complain. Beside him is Jakoda drinking coconut milk tea from the same glass with the girl he was with at the party last night. They're even sharing one straw. As he takes a sip, the girl's lips follow suit, the actions synchronized and almost dance like.

Malin is opposite me sipping his lemonade like a sane person. We both need new friends, Jakoda and Tk are insane.

"You two should grow the fuck up. You're so annoying!" My voice comes out louder than I intended attracting attention from everyone in the cafe who turn around in their chairs to glance at me. The girl next to Jakoda gets startled, clutching his shirt tightly and he holds her close to him as if my voice has hurt her. So fucking dramatic. "Why're you so calm like you can't see this shit?" I ask Malin while pointing at the two idiots.