Chapter Twenty ~ Revelations

Melanie's POV

I had walked into Madame's Boudoir looking around for the red nightie I had seen last time I was in here.

"Ah Melanie, my dear, it's good to see you again."

"You too Fran. I was wondering if you still had that little red hot nightie from the other day in the back."

"I'm so sorry I've completely sold out. As a matter of fact a young man bought the last one a day before yesterday for his girlfriend."

I was disappointed. I knew I should have bought it but who knew things would have gotten heated between Marc and I. She must have seen disappointment on my face.

"We have some other things you may like."

"No, I really had my heart set on that one."

"I'm sorry Melanie."

"No I should have bought it the other day when you told me too. I didn't know I would actually need it." I looked around some more but nothing caught my eye. I said goodbye and walked out the store.

I really wanted to surprise Marc and wear it for Valentine's Day. I didn't know what to expect since he got a strange phone call very early this morning and left. I was almost dead to the world when he kissed me, grabbed his keys and drove off into the moonlight. I tried calling him a few times but it went straight to voicemail.

I had spoken to Reba but she said he hadn't told her anything but had cancelled all his meetings for the day and Monday. The only thing I could think of was that he was planning something since he had technically won the bet. Ah the bet. The very one that had me ready to shoot somebody. Here I was thinking he was in danger, that his life could have been taken away and there he was drunk and high. I couldn't help but shake my head and giggle.

I bet people thought I was crazy running down the street in a five-hundred dollar brown Prada dress, five inch brown Christian Louboutin stilettos, and five green and pink rollers in my head. I'm glad I was in the hood and not on Canal Street in the business district. I had to laugh at myself, the things a woman did for love. Love? Yes I was truly in love with Marc Hernandez and ready to shout it from the rooftops.

I turn off General Davis Drive. They were doing construction on the street. Unfortunately for that, the homeless people were gathered under the bridge. It broke my heart to see the state of my people, some carrying everything they owned in a knapsack or a bag. Some lying on the ground where they didn't even have a blanket to lay on. I don't think I would know how to survive in harsh conditions. I was lucky to have parents that loved and encouraged me. Seeing the plight of the struggle made it all to real.

I stopped as the construction worker held up his traffic sign for us to stop. I saw a young woman digging in a trashcan for food. I reached over grabbed my purse and took out a twenty. Putting my car in park, I crossed over the sidewalk and got her attention.

"Here you go. You can get something to eat with this."

She turned to me and just stared. I raised the money and she took it.

"Thank you miss. You are very kind my sista."

"You're welcome." I smiled and walked away.

"God Bless you miss."

"Thank you." Somehow my heart felt heavy. It was the right thing to do whether she did the right thing with that money or not I felt like I needed to do more.

I drove to the assistant living home to check on my dad. It had been way too long since I had seen him. With everything going on, I needed to see a familiar face and to see how his progress was going. I walked in like I normally did and headed up to his room. When I got to his floor I could have sworn Marc's Old Spice cologne from yesterday was in the air. I had to be dreaming.