Chapter Nine ~ The Softer Side

Melanie

It was almost six pm when we made it back to New Orleans. We were just about to step off the plane when Marc's phone rang. He answered and told me he would meet me at the car. I nodded and headed off the plane but not before he pulled me in his arms and kissed me on the lips. I giggled and he hit me on my backside.

The last two days in paradise were amazing. Laying out on the beach soaking up the sun and making love all hours of the day made me realize maybe I had been really hard on Marc all these years. I saw a different side of him that was humbling, caring, and attentive which made him sexier.

"Enjoy your trip?" Alfred asked me with his eyebrows knotted up. I wonder what was wrong with him? He grabbed my bags and put them in the trunk of the car. I had bought a few things from the closet in Florida since they were technically paid for.

Alfred opened my door and I got in. We were waiting on Marc who was still on the plane talking. Alfred started the car as I started to text Tammy.

"You fell for it didn't you?"

"What are you talking about Alfred?"

"Another sista going in the wrong direction. Oh but I forgot white is right and black is whack."

"Excuse me?"

"You slept with him didn't you Melanie?"

"Excuse me but that is none of your business. I never said white was right and black is whack."

"I really thought you were different. You have really fooled me. Now you're a white man's mistress. You are a secretary and once he finds a lady more suitable he will throw you away like he's done with the others."

"Why are you saying all these things? I thought we were friends Alfred?"

"Please, you're a sellout. The black man is a dying breed thanks to women like you. He buys you clothes, and take you to a party and then you think you're in the same class. When he took you to his little island paradise he was buttering you up because he knew what he wanted from you. Marc Hernandez is an arrogant and selfish ass who only cares about himself and his company."

"That's not true."

"Melanie please. As many times you've call him Mr. Arrogant Asshole I can't believe you fell for him. Let me guess he took you on a ride in his boat, cooked you a wonderful dinner and took you shopping buying you extravagant things. Then on top of that, he told you he loved you. Guess what? Materialistic things are not love. He throws out that word to get laid. Now you are just another one of his whores so when he gets tired of eating milk chocolate he'll just find himself an expensive white piece. Money is power and power is having money which unfortunately babygirl you have none of the two."

"Shut up Alfred."

"You need to listen and listen good. You will never be good enough for him so no matter how much he gives you praise there will always be another white woman ready for him to choose. Melanie you are the first black woman I've ever seen him with. You are exotic and he just wants to experience something different. It's not love sweetheart, he just wants to use you."

"First of all you are overstepping your boundaries. Secondly I've dated a black man who freaking treated me like trash." Wanted to say gay but he didn't need to know that. "Marc is not only good to me but to you too. You may be just a driver but he treats you well. From what I heard he gave you a second chance and this is how you repay him by talking negatively about him."

He cut his eyes at me. I knew he had gone to jail for robbing a liquor store and served a nine year sentence. He couldn't find a job for almost year and Marc gave him one. Alfred's mother, Ms. Tyson begged Marc to give him a job all those years ago. She worked for Marc until she died two years ago of cancer.