Chapter 19: Horseplay

Start from the beginning

Then, after what felt like a brief movie to her, she thought of a question.

"Have you ever made any mistakes on your adventures?"

Tintin raised a brow at her words and glanced at the girl. You could see the contemplation in his eyes.

He thought for only a second.

"I can remember a time when I accused someone of a crime they didn't commit," he said, looking forward in thought.

(Y/n) pursed her lips.

"Oh really? How did you realize it wasn't him?"

Tintin's head slanted back and forth before he answered, "she, actually. And as any mysteries I've taken on, the truth always unveils itself in the end."

(Y/n) bit her lip and looked back down at the harp.

'She.'

Great.

For some reason this made her not want to hear the story anymore.

"Hmm," she replied, petting Snowy affectionately with both hands as he had stood in her lap to look at the view.

Tintin happened to notice her silence and furrowed his eyebrows at her intuitively, clicking his teeth and deciding to be the lead in a very much wanted conversation.

He wasn't letting it end on this note.

"Why don't you tell me what your life is like back in (H/c)?"

(Y/n) perked to make eye contact with the journalist, a little surprised he was engaging.

"Uh, well, I work at a diner. The manager and assistant manager are kind of mean to me even though I'm their favorite. I don't like working there but it's the only thing I can do to afford living on my own, especially at half the original rent my apartment is supposed to be." The girl became at ease and twisted her body to face the boy. "Other than that I don't live a super thrilling life like you. And when I found out I had an uncle we began sending letters to each other all the time. I was never able to see him because my boss didn't like me taking off, but I guess now I have a good enough excuse..."

"Interesting... how did you and you're uncle first get in contact?" Tintin asked.

"He found me. I thought I had no family left until about a year or two ago when I got his first letter in the mail. He was so surprised to find out I was alive and told me he was my uncle. I didn't really believe him until he told me so much about myself and memories started coming back to me.

I always knew I was raised by somebody that wasn't my literal father growing up, and when I asked if he was that person, he confirmed it with a photo of the both of us." She paused to put a strand behind her ear. "I felt so excited when I saw that picture, I thought I was all alone-"

The Captain whipped his head around from the passenger's seat.

"Miss (Y/n)! I couldn't help but see that every time we've got ourselves in a pickle... you seem to be able to bring out this vicious, fightin' spirit that has those savages bending at the knee!" he recalled, balling a fist and grinding it into his palm. "It takes a rather good kicking for a man to be knocked out ice cold by a wee lass like yourself. Tell us, what gives you that strength?"

Tintin became curious himself.

"You're right, Captain! So, what is it that makes you able to fight so professionally??" he asked, keen on what she would say.

(Y/n) was taken back by their questions... seeing she didn't think about it much until they asked. Her eyes wandered to take turns making eye contact with each of her friends, waiting anxiously for an answer.