Kozume Kenma - Kozume Kaya

Her slitted golden eyes flickered, then she smirked.

^v^

"Alright, that's enough team! Let's stretch and pack up. We've had enough for today. Even I'm tired, " Kuroo called across the gym, signalling the dismissal of practice. Then Kuroo looked to Kenma and smirked. "Kenma! I saw you slacking go run a lap!"

Kenma, panting so hard, shot Kuroo a glare that sent shivers down his spine. "I-I'm sorry! That was a joke, Kenma. A joke!" Kuroo apologised, putting his hands together. Kenma rolled his eyes and turned away, helping the others pack up.

Kuroo knew that his friend, despite hating the excess use of energy and strength, had been working extra hard as they neared Nationals. It would be their time to shine before Kuroo himself had to leave the team for good. And he wasn't looking forward to doing that without winning Nationals first.

Someone tapped Kuroo on the shoulder, waking him up from his daydreams. "Kuroo-kun. Don't go so hard on Kenma. You pick on him too much. He's been working just as hard as you," coach Nekomata patted his shoulder wisely.

Kuroo scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah, I know, coach. I'm just trying to encourage him a little. He is essential for our team. But yeah, I'll stop picking on him. For now."

Coach Nekomata smiled and nodded. "You know what's best, captain." Then he walked away, assisting the others with pack-up.

Fifteen minutes later, the gym was closed and locked and Kuroo was walking out of the school with Kenma by his side. They stood outside the school, waiting for the bus to come and when it did, they got on. It was crowded and full, like normal but they were quick to find their usual seats.

Kenma slumped on his seat and breathed a sigh of relief. After the tiring day, all he wanted to do was get out his gaming gear and kill every enemy boss there was, until he was satisfied. That, along with some snacks and drinks by his side.

"Can I come over tonight, cook me some of your omurice," Kuroo said.

"No, you're just going to disturb me," Kenma shot back ignorantly. It was the truth too, only Kuroo didn't want to admit it.

"I'll cook you omurice, in return, you let me have your gaming pc for a whole week," Kuroo offered with a sly smile.

"I don't know what you're planning, but no. I don't trust you with my gaming pc at all and you're probably just going to dirty my search history. I can make myself omurice without you at my house," Kenma said indignantly. He had no energy left to put up with Kuroo's antics.

Kuroo sighed but didn't push it. Truth was, he was just bored. If there was no volleyball around, he just got bored and toying with Kenma was always fun. Before he could try asking again, the bus had already arrived at Kenma's house. Kuroo's own home was about a ten-minute walk away, so usually, they got off together.

The pair hopped off and Kenma trudged into his house, locking the door behind him as Kuroo sighed and walked away in the direction of his house.

Sunsets had never drawn his eye, but today Kuroo looked up at the sky. The orange and pink colours stretched across the endless sky, bringing not only a peaceful atmosphere to Tokyo, but a peaceful feeling in his heart. Until he heard a gunshot.

Kuroo's ears perked up in alert, his eyes scanned the area. The gunshot had been close, too close for comfort and he was determined to run the opposite direction of the gun. But his curiosity caused him to sneak closer to where he heard the gunshot. If anyone was hurt, Kuroo had to help them. Not run like a coward.

Finally, he reached a dead end, but on his right was an alley and when he peered around the corner and into the alley, his heart stopped for a moment. A familiar girl swayed from side to side as she stood in the middle, amongst fallen men. All of them had been beaten up so horribly that blood covered their features. Kuroo's fingers trembled, but he shoved them into his pockets.