Chapter 13

A wave of water rose up and smacked Echidna into the water. The water cocooned around her. She thrashed in her watery prison. I hardened water into ice and shot it at the mother of all monsters. The ice punctured dozens of holes into her wings but shattered against her skin. Eventually, I wasn't able to hold up against her pure strength and she escaped, jumping out of the water and landing on the shores. Luke came forward and charged at Echidna. He swung his sword. Echidna blocked with her talons and twisted her hand. Backbiter was sent flying out of Luke's grasp. He barely dodged the next attack that Echidna sent at him. He stumbled back. Echidna appeared behind Luke and went to stab him with her poisonous talons. I saw this and summoned a water whip and yanked him into the river. I sensed Annabeth and did the same with her. Her cap fell off as she entered the water. I went under the water and grabbed the Yankees hat as I went. I formed a water bubble around Luke and Annabeth. I saw Echidna standing on the edge of the bank, looking into the murky water. "We need a plan to either escape or eliminate Echidna. Any ideas?" I asked. We sat at the bottom of the river trying to think of a plan. Every now and again I would send ice and water towards Echidna to keep her off guard. As we sat there trying to think of a plan I remembered something my dad did. He, unlike most gods, didn't flash out. He seemed to disappear in a vapour. Echidna seemed to be getting bolder and bolder. She was edging closer to the water, obviously not scared of the water as much. We weren't going to win against someone like Echidna. Annabeth and Luke looked like they had given up. My mind made up I used the earth to send Luke's sword into the river. I handed him the sword. Luke grabbed the sword. He held it defensively, prepared to block any attacks. I grabbed his and Annabeth's hands. I focused upon Denver, more specifically the restaurant we were at last time. We still needed to meet Ares, if only I could steal the items of power he had. I felt us break apart into million of water particles. I kept my mind focused on the restaurant. I felt us arrive. I put us back into our fleshbags and collapsed to the floor in a dead faint.

I woke up groaning. I was perfectly fine except for a slight headache. I opened my eyes and saw Luke sitting next to me, a concerned look on his face. It was not long after noon. So not much time had passed since I was knocked out. Annabeth was lying against a brick wall. I groaned and stood up. Luke followed me up and had his hands out ready to catch me if need be. He wordlessly handed me an ambrosia square. I ate it, reminiscing over the taste of the blue cookies. Annabeth was shaken awake by Luke. When she saw I was awake she started rapid-firing questions, "What was that? Why didn't you do that earlier? How could you do that? When..." I rose a hand to cut her off. I pointed to the restaurant and said, "Food first, questions later." We strode into the restaurant. We sat at a small booth and picked up a menu. After a little bit, I could feel a godly aura approaching. Just then the waiter turned up, "What are you ordering young kids?" After listing off our order she asked us, "Who will be paying?" I just smirked and pointed to the door behind her. The door opened and Ares strolled in. 

People started tensing and preparing for a battle. He strode over to us. The waiter, terrified of Ares, walked away. Ares sat next to me. He stared at Annabeth a little longer than needed. "Lord Ares. How can we help you?" Luke asked, looking terrified. Annabeth looked terrified but for a different reason. I looked at the backpack and felt the aura of energy that it was emitting. It obviously held the Lightning Bolt. I looked at Ares' motorcycle. On it was a helmet that seemed to emit an aura of darkness. Ares spoke up, "In exchange for a ride west, I want you to retrieve my shield that I left at a nearby waterpark." The waiter arrived and placed our drinks and food in front of us. Ares, without looking at her, slid a few bills across the table. "Let me be blunt here Ares. Why would we have any desire to help the weakest of the Olympians? You can't challenge us and having nothing offer us that we can't get on your own," I stated. Annabeth and Luke gaped at my rudeness. Ares' eyes seemed to glow with flames. Before he could even make a move I spoke up, "If you come for either of us, you'll have three pissed of gods after you. Even so, we'd have to challenge you before you could attack us. I doubt you could take us anyways." Ares eye flames seemed to get brighter, the red light flickering hauntingly around the room. Before he could move I had the water in the drinks wrapped around his head. He slowly started drowning. Ares summoned a sword and went to strike at me. I blocked it with Riptide. Ares' movements slowed down. I kept blocking his attacks. He eventually passed out, his head whacking the table.

Luke and Annabeth were just gaping at me. "Do you have any idea what you have done? You made an enemy out of an Olympian. We could have done his quest," Annabeth raged. I rolled my eyes. I grabbed the backpack and picked it up. I slung it over my shoulders. I strolled over to Ares' bike. I picked up the helmet and stuffed it in the bag. Luke caught up to me and said, "Are you insane? You want us to steal from a god?" I nodded. Luke just shrugged and hopped on. Annabeth hopped on behind Luke, apprehension written all over her face. She circled her arms around Luke, a blush on her face. I rolled my eyes and summoned water to make a backrest. After a bit of fiddling with the ice, I made the perfect backrest and hopped on the bike. I leaned against my brand new backrest and Luke took off. After a while of driving, the sun fading into darkness, we decided to stop. We stopped right outside of a hotel. I looked up at the sign and saw the words, "Lotus Hotel and Casino" written in neon letters.