Chapter 4

I sat on the edge of the water fountain eating my apple. I had finished my apple and Nancy started to walk on over. She took a huge bite out of her sandwich and drooled all over it. She then dumped the sandwich in Grover's lap. The mustard oozed out and onto Grover's pants, staining them. I merely stared at her, determined not to react. Nancy looked disappointed but wandered off to pickpocket other tourists. She would make a great child of Hermes. Made me wonder if she was.

Grover picked up the sandwich and set it down upon the edge next to him. All I was waiting for was Mrs Dodds to come over and grab me for one ridiculous reason or another. And sure enough Mrs Dodds came over. "Now honey, why did you steal Nancy's lunch?" I tilted my head slightly puzzled that she would pick such a stupid reason. "Ma'am," Grover spoke, "it was me that stole her lunch." Mrs Dodds snorted and glared at Grover. "I think not sweetie. Come with me Perseus." I raised an eyebrow at the use of my full name but got up anyway.

I followed Mrs Dodds to the Greek exhibit. She stopped in front of the stele. She glared at the stele like it had personally offended her by calling her a crazy old bat. She then spoke, "Did you think you'd get away with it?" I raised an eyebrow as if questioning her. I knew full well she was talking about stealing the masterbolt and the helm but I decided to play dumb. "Unlike Hermes I don't think I could steal money from Gabe's poker table much less a sandwich." This made Alecto pause. Her form started to distort and change. Eventually I was left with a demon grandmother in front of me.

I raised my arms to defend myself from the claws that were swooshing in from each side, making sure I couldn't move away from her deadly claws. I sensed her pause. I lowered my arms and saw her staring at the ring on my finger. "Where did you get that?" She hissed out. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Chiron coming in. I quickly leaped back out of her range. "What ho, Percy!" I heard Chiron shout. I turned and saw a bronze sword, three feet long twirling towards me, sunlight glinting off its blade. I caught it perfectly. It felt natural in my hands. I swung it towards Alecto. She deflected the blade off her nails and swung back at me. I dodged and I riposted at her. The blade struck true. It went straight through her heart.

When I turned around Riptide was a pen again and Chiron was nowhere to be found. That made me wonder how the hades he did it. I walked back out to the fountain and sat back next to Grover. Riptide would not be leaving my possession today. After a few minutes Chiron came over. He wheeled himself in front of me and said, "I believe you have my pen Mr Jackson. Please bring your own equipment in the future." I merely smiled at him. Before I handed over Riptide I sent a pulse of energy down it. This made sure it would return to my possession before the end of the day. With the Minotaur after me I really wanted it.