Chapter 8

My mind was filled with an onslaught of nightmares and memories. Memories of Tartarus, memories of deaths, and memories of war flooded my mind. Nightmares of pain and nightmares of suffering drowned my soul. Zoë, Bianca, Bob, Damasen, Luke, Charles, Silena and so many more. I woke up in a bed of sweat. The sound of breathing soothed me.

I got up, careful not to disturb anyone, and walked out of the cabin. I made my way down to the beach and sat there staring at the waves. Eventually, the sun rose, turning the water to a nice golden pink colour. I sat there as the sun rose, dreaming of a future that could have been and a future that is yet to be.

The sun slowly rose above me. At midday I was still sitting on the beach. That was until a camper found me. "You must be the new kid," a voice said from behind me. I turned around and saw Annabeth standing there. I merely smiled at her, my heart still aching from her rejection. She came down and sat next to me and asked, "Is there any reason why you chose to sit out here all morning?" I sat there still watching the choppy waves crash against the shore. After hesitating for a bit longer I replied, "The ocean makes me feel calm and happy. It has for as long as I can remember." I saw her give me a speculative look. I heard loud footsteps approach from behind. I turned and saw Clarisse approaching. I rolled my eyes and turned back around.

Clarisse came up and grabbed me by the back of my shirt and hoisted me into the air. She carried me to the toilets saying, "It's time to get dunked!" I rolled my eyes and simply willed the water out of the toilet. This time something else happened. The water froze and separated into tiny, deadly spikes aimed right at Clarisse. I looked at the water perplexed.

Chronos said inside my head, "You have gotten used to your water and hurricane powers. Now it is time to get used to your ice powers along with whatever else you have." I rolled my eyes at his terrible pun. The ice was still floating in front of a frozen Clarisse. Frozen from fear that is, not my powers. She let go of me and slowly backed away. I walked out of the toilet, leaving the icicles and Clarisse in there. After a while I destroyed the icicles. Then I heard the conch horn ring out for lunch.

After lunch I went down to the arena and watched Luke teach a class. He smiled when he saw me. "Percy! Come down. Let's have a duel!" I raised an eyebrow but walked down nonetheless. He tried to hand me a sword but I stopped him. I pulled out Riptide and uncapped it. He looked surprised before nodding and assessing my stance. He saw that it was perfect and he lunged. I parried the blow and struck back with a jab. He leaned out of the way. This continued on before I gained the upper hand and used the very first technique that Luke taught me, the disarming technique. It worked and Luke's sword was on the ground and my sword was at his throat. "Yield?" I asked. Luke gulped before responding with, "I yield." I moved my sword away from his throat and held out my hand. He grabbed it and hoisted himself up, dusting himself off as he did so.

Luke and I kept fighting and I kept winning. We did this everyday and when I wasn't duelling I was talking to the other campers or participating in other activities like rock climbing. This kept up until Friday afternoon. Today was the day of capture the flag. Or in other words the day everything changed in my previous life.