Chapter 12

I packed my clothes into a bag. I then went to the camp shop and got some mortal money and drachmas. We got some ambrosia and nectar from Chiron. He reminded us that it was the food of the gods and told us to use it sparingly. Annabeth was bringing her invisibility cap, her dagger, and a book about architecture. Luke was bringing his sword Backbiter, which was strapped to his side. He also had his winged shoes on. He brought a ball to play with and a book to read. I had Riptide in my pocket and a backpack filled with clothes, food, money and other various things. We assembled at Thalia's pine tree. Argus and Chiron were waiting for us. I merely tilted my head, surely we could get the Chariot of Damnation. It would be fast and efficient. 

Argus drove us to the Greyhound station and dropped us off. I was about to look for a drachma to summon the Grey Ladies before I remembered that I needed to get Nico and Bianca out of the hotel. I groaned and got on the bus that had pulled up. We had a slightly larger time window now, even if it was by an hour or two. As we waited for the bus to take off, three old ladies hopped on. I tightened my grip on Riptide in my pocket. Luke took a deep breath, obviously surprised that all three of the Furies had come. Luke's hand crept closer to his sword, prepared to draw it in a flash if need be. I slowly drew out Riptide, still in pen form, my thumb on the cap, ready to flick it off at a moments notice. The ladies walked past us. I, sitting on the end of the seat closest to the Furies made a decision. I flicked off the cap. Riptide sprung out, surprising the Furies. With a quick flick of my wrist, they exploded into a pile of gold dust. Luke and Annabeth were gaping at me. I capped Riptide, hoping that the Mist would do its work. The bus then started to move. The bus eventually made it to the Amtrak (Keep in mind, I'm Australian so I have no clue how your little part of the world works). We were lucky enough to skip right over the Medusa part. We spent the next couple of days on the train, that we paid for with our money that didn't get destroyed this time. The three of us talked on our way to Denver. We could only purchase tickets as far as Denver. I was told the backstory with Annabeth's family. Luke also told me some of his past. Both of them regaled me with tales of their time on the streets with Thalia.

Once again we visited the Gateway Arch. Annabeth rambled on about the architecture and Luke kept his guard up, his hand always on or near his sword. We got into a car. Echidna and her little doggo hopped in behind us. Luke's hand tightened around the pommel of his sword. I didn't want to risk an encounter with them. We were guaranteed to lose against someone like Echidna. We stood a better chance against her son. Echidna has never been defeated. Made me wonder why the Hades Zeus decided to send her after the demigods that were retrieving his bolt. Then again he is an idiot. We made it to the top and walked our way around. Just like last time the other two left me. Echidna and her son came up behind me. I turned around and smiled at them. It confused them enough that I had enough time to eliminate the Chimera. My sword pierced the Chihuahua in the heart, making it explode in a pile of dust. Echidna stared at me in shock. I didn't stand a chance against her. She was undefeated for a reason. I backed towards the edge and looked towards the river. Echidna roared and lunged for me. I turned and jumped straight off, angling my body towards the river. Echidna roared and dived off after me, wings spreading out from her back. She was obviously after revenge. She sped towards me, her talons pointed straight for my heart. She was almost upon when I impacted with the water. She balked and spread her wings to halt her fall. She hovered over the water, cautious of entering my domain.

I remained down in the river. Just like last time a nereid showed up and told me to head towards Santa Monica Bay. I agreed and waited to heal. Through the murky water, I could see Luke and Annabeth staring at Echidna. She was like Typhon in this regard. Her lower half was two snake legs. The green scales glinting in the sunlight. Her black wings were fluttering to keep her up. Her fangs were dripping in poison. I rose from the water, icicles forming around me. A quick flick of my wrist had the icicles flying at Echidna. The icicles just shattered against her skin. Echidna chuckled, "Where do you think the Nemean Lion got his invulnerability from? You have no hope against me for I am the mother of all monsters, the fearsome Echidna." The mortals were all screaming and running away from us. Luke had Backbiter drawn, ready to defend himself. Annabeth had disappeared but I could sense her presence moving around. I was still standing on the water, trying to think of a plan. Echidna got tired of waiting and swooped down towards me, her talons aimed straight at me.

AN I will be writing longer chapters now and plan to update slightly more frequently until I get to school which will be starting in a couple of weeks. I will also start to diverge more from the book.