Chapter 30

Song: Home- MGK, Bebe Rhexa and X Ambassadors.

SHURA
"He turned himself in? Why the fuck would he even do that?" Az frowns.

"Maybe he just couldn't handle the guilt anymore." Jeremiah suggests.

"So he was actually the one who killed Gramps? But he and Gramps were so close, whatever differences they had... I don't think killing him was an extent he would have been willing to go to"

"Well clearly he did. You can imagine how disappointed I am knowing this, especially because we were a trio. I just found out one of my best friends turned himself in because he killed my other best friend."

"It's a shitty world" Az comments with a spaced out expression.

"Without a doubt. Well at least now we can all rest easy knowing that the killer is behind bars." He smiles and looks at me but I still feel unsettled. I know I should feel relieved knowing that the killer finally turned himself in but all I feel is incompleteness.
"Shura... are you OK? Why do you look like that? I thought you would be ecstatic." Jerry says.

"I am..."

"Well you don't look it" Az buds in.

"Az shouldn't you be on the way to see Manka'a? For your session?"

"Yeah... yeah I should be going actually. Grandpa Jerry, I'll see you later." She says and hugs him.

"I am happy you have decided to do better for yourself." He smiles at her before she descends the stairs. I get into the living room so I can take a seat and I hear Jerry follow me.

I support my head on my arm as I close my eyes to catch a breath, there is just this oddness in the air that I cannot explain. If anything, I feel more restless.

"Hey... what's wrong?" he asks me.

"I don't know, I just feel uneasy."

"It's OK, you will be fine."

"Why would Kehbila do that to Donald? They were so close, seemingly closer than both of you."

"They were" he nods. "Honestly, I can't think of anything else."

"I have to see him" I say and stand up abruptly "I want to talk to him, I want to look him in the eye and have him explain to me why he killed my husband."

"What? Shura that is crazy" Jerry says as he grabs my arm in the process.

"If he did kill Donald, he must have had a good reason and I won't be able to rest till I know what it was."

"What's your plan? To drive to Bamenda tonight?"

"I don't know but I will come up with something on the way."

"And is that the smartest thing to do?"

"Sometimes the smart decision isn't always the right decision. If I do not know what his reason was then I won't be fine."

"Let's do this, I will request for him to be transferred to the prison here and then you can go and see him. How does that sound?"

AZ
"I cannot believe my grandfather's best friend was actually the one who gunned him down. What the fuck is the point of all this?" I ask Manka'a while lying on the sofa.

"Point of what?"

"Of life! Like the people closest to us can be the very ones to poison the water they serve us when we are thirsty or just behind the pretence of care or love."

"That is life for us all." She says and I look at her.

"Have you ever been betrayed by friends?"

"Not really, to be honest I have been blessed with really good friends in my life."