Chapter 3

Song: Come back home- Lauv

SHURA
As days go by, I watch Donald lose his mind slowly over Az's disappearance. It's been six days already and there's still no sign of her whatsoever. She hasn't checked into any hotel we've checked, she hasn't withdrawn any money from her bank account and we didn't find out anything useful from any bus station or even the airport.
He even suggested that she could be dead once and I scolded him, telling him to stop thinking so negatively... But then I too considered it for a while, I hope that isn't the case.
Kacely has been here a few times as well as Az's friend Bryana. Apparently, she's missed the mock and the GCE practicals start in a few days. It's all a hot mess and I don't even know what to do or feel.

Unlike last week, Donald can't come over with me to the hospital for my check up because he has to go to the police station, so I'll have to go with Mama. The appointment's at 8:00am, but by 07:17am, mama is already seated in the living room.

"Mama, what are you doing here so early?" I ask as I finish the milk left in my cup and get up to hug her.

"I know you na Shu-Shu, 8:00 is 10:00 for you so I came to hasten you up. Look you haven't even taken a bath yet"

"Don't exaggerate" I say with a slight smile which she mirrors before a worrisome look takes over her face.

"Why do you look so tired?" She asks as she observes my face. "Haven't you been sleeping well lately?"

"Mama, I don't even know where to start" I breathe

"What's going on?" She frowns

"Donald's granddaughter..."

"The one with the eh... eh... tattooes and ten holes on her ears?" She asks with a judgemental look on her face

"Why are you capitalising on that?"

"What about her?" She asks, ignoring my comment.

"She ran away from home."

"She ran away? Ah ah? When?"

"On Saturday" I reply

"Wonderful thing" she says and claps her hands and sits down beside me "Ran to where?"

"Do we know?" I ask and sigh

"How is your husband doing? How does he feel?"

"Devastated"

"I knew from the moment that I saw that child that she must be very stubborn and rebellious, eh..."

"You don't even know what happened mama. Yes she's a bit of a hard head, but it wasn't her fault this time. She had all reasons to run away and I can't help but take some of the blame for this."

"Ah ah what hand could you have possibly had in all this?"

"It's complicated mama" I reply as Donald walks down the stairs while on the phone. He notices mama's presence and forces a smile.

"Good morning mama" he greets and pecks her

"Is the morning really good?" Mama asks and he just exhales frustratedly.

"I have to go down to the police station. I know Azinwi ran away from home but there's still a probability that in the course of all that, she was kidnapped. After I lay the complain at the station, I'll go to as many TV or radio stations as I can, I'll talk to who I can and I'll place a ransom and see what comes out of it." He says.

"I'll meet you when I'm done at the hospital."

"No, no don't bother. I'll handle this myself"

"Alright" I reply and kiss him.