Chapter 13

Song: How could you leave us?- NF

KACELY
I wake up to my phone beeping continuously. I try to reach out for it but Az is lying on my chest with her arms wrapped tightly around me. I don't want to wake her up, she was so worked up and sad yesterday that I had to give her sleeping pills to make her doze off. I feel so bad for her. She's in an exaggerated level of misery and I don't even know how to be there for her, how to support her.

My phone beeps again and again and have to see where the messages are coming from. As I try to untangle Az from my body, the phone starts ringing and she lets go of me without waking up. Thank God.

Checking the phone, I realize it's Bryana. "Bry, hey." I greet her and rub my eyes.

"Kacely, I've been texting you since morning."

"It's still morning."

"No, it's after 2pm" She corrects me and I check the time. It is after two!
How long were we asleep for???

"How's Az?" She asks me. "I saw the news and her grandfather was buried yesterday. That's so heartbreaking ."

"She's so broken Bry. I don't even know how I'm supposed to support her or console her."

"I feel you. It's got to be an awkward position to be in."

"Trust me, it is" I say and she exhales.

"Have you been able to read the messages on the class group chat?"

"No..."

"Why don't you ever read the messages?" She asks and I roll my eyes. "Well a bunch of us want to come over to pay our respects. We didn't know about the burial or we would've been there yesterday."

"Yeah, they kept it on the low." I inform her and Az distracts me by talking in her sleep. "Bryana I honestly don't know if she's ready to see anyone."

"Well if we don't see her today, we won't be able to see her again till after G. Monday is not far"

"God, I really can't believe we'll be writing from Monday"

"I'm telling you!!" She yells. "I don't even know what I've read eh. I was trying to solve Pure Maths from 2014, Jesus Christ! The way it's hard eh. Have you solved it?"

"No" I haven't really been able to study since Az lost her grandfather.

"I hope you're reading oh. Don't allow what's going on with Az derail you from your studies. We always have to move on in life."

"I know that. What I don't know is if visiting Az is the smartest move to make. I don't think she'll wants to see anybody. She hasn't said a single word since yesterday."

"It's not that complicated. If she doesn't want to see us, we'll just leave." She tells me. I'll have to ask Shura first, though I don't think she'll have a problem with it

"When do you guys plan on coming over?"

"We said 3 o'clock but... You know Cameroonians. 3:00 is 5:00" she laughs and I smile.

"Alright then , I'll let her know. But she's asleep now so..."

"Let me get ready. I'll see you in a bit"

"Alright" I nod and get off the phone to tell Shura about them coming over. I look at Az one last time. One person should not have to endure all this pain. Leaving the room, I bump into Shura's sister and she has her phone in her hand.

"Good morning" I greet.

"Good afternoon" She replies.

"Please where's Shura?"