Beach Days

(A small skip

(A small skip.)

Rowan let out a breath as she finally came up for air. The salty water hung on her lips as she settled on her board. The day was perfect for surfing, and so the Pogues had declared it a beach day right when they woke up.

After spending the night at John B's place, Rowan had tried to forget about what happened when the night began. She couldn't even think about with without getting all girly and gushy about it. It was stupid to think about. It wasn't even supposed to happen; but was it so terrible she wanted it to happen again?

While the night started as usual, a few joints and a few beers, it was around midnight when everyone passed out. Everyone except John B and Rowan. Out side, she had found him swinging in one of the hammocks he had that looked out onto the marsh.

In his solitude, she had come to let him know about everyone. For a while, there was quite between them. She had gotten warm sitting beside him and found comfort in the fact that they're shoulders were touching.

Between the last few words said between them, she didn't even know what brought it on. But the moment was perfect. The stars were bright, and the sound of the water was softly mixing between the sound of their own heartbeats.

Everything about her first kiss seemed to be right. The only thing was, she didn't expect it to end up being one of her best friends.

John B seemed to be surprised too. For after he'd done it, he apologized endlessly. Rowan had told him it was okay. More than okay. And despite herself, she had kissed him again to further explain that it was.

Shaking her head, Rowan brought herself back to reality. The waves brush up against her skin as she sits in the water. Taking in the sun before her, she's so lost she doesn't hear the voice calling out to her.

"Ro!" It calls out, followed by a splash that lands in her face. Blinking back, she turns her head.

"We're heading to the Wreck." JJ tells her. "Kie said she can get us some food."

Rowan smiled. "Great. I'm starving. And craving some coffee."

JJ had rolled his eyes. "Weirdo." He says, splashing her again. Without hesitation, Rowan splashed him back and as quickly as she could paddled back to sore before he could do it back to her. Laughing as she reached land, JJ shouted after her.

"I'm so getting you back for that." He said, hitting the side of his head to get water out of his ear.

"You can try." Rowan says, greatly taking a towel from John B. She smiled and couldn't help it as her cheeks grew warm when he smiled back.

"Come on. Let's go already. I'm starving." JJ says.

"Yeah. I wanna get back home so I can study. I wanna—"

"Prepare for the Merit scholarship. We know."Rowan says, rolling her eyes at her brother.  As she puts her Jean shorts on. Grabbing her shoes she walks past her brother and gives him a small shove. Pope rolled his eyes at her and sighed as she walked ahead of the boys.

He sometimes worried about his sister. And then he sometimes worried about himself because he often thinks he cares about school too much...and that sometimes he thinks he should be more like his sister and not care at all....but if he stopped caring, then he'd be forced to live his life here...and he didn't know if he wants to be stuck on this island for the rest of his life. He wants to do things. Be things.

"Hurry up guys, I need caffein!" Rowan calls out to them as she walks up the dock and towards the Wreck.

"All right, all right." JJ says.

"You don't need anymore caffeine." John B says, as they catch up with her.

Pope watched as they walked side by side. His eyes squinted a little as he notices her move slightly closer to him. So close they're arms were brushed up against each other's.

"I always need caffeine." Rowan had said, and lightly nudged John B.

"You drink coffee like I smoke weed....and it's like...a lot." JJ says. Oblivious to what Pope had witnessed. He wasn't a detective. Not in the slightest. But he definitely was smart enough to figure out that something was going on. And he was going to find out sooner or later.

——