Upsidedown

"Look, I'm calling it off." John B announced a few hours later. Rowan showed up before everyone just to check on him and to make sure he was okay. She hadn't slept at all during the night. She was so worried about him.

"Pererkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS." He went on. Rowan stood beside him as he talked to the others. She was also worried about that whole situation. The thought of his being ripped away from her killed her. She really didn't know how she would handle it.

"And you believed her?" JJ questioned,

"Yes, I believe her, JJ."

"A cop. An actual cop, John B. You believe a cop."

"Look, all I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out." He counters back. "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"You know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass."

"Yeah, because Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Where you not there?" Rowan asked, turning to him, "Because of JJ he definitely would have drown your stupid ass."

"Really? Seriously?" John B asked, looking towards her.

"Uh, yeah." Rowan stood in front of him with her arms crossed. He shook his head at her dismissively and sat down. She didn't understand why John B didn't see the good side of JJ's recklessness. At least this time around.

"Look, they always win, don't they, man." JJ said, interrupting the lovers quarrel. "Kook's verses Pogues. They always, always win!" In a fit of anger, JJ punched the lantern hanging in front of him.

"Okay, it's okay." Kie said, trying to simmer him down.

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." JJ said, pointing to John B. "I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go." He said, pointing to Pope.

"You're the golden boy. You got too much to risk. And you—" he said, "your already rich as fuck anyway, so why would you bother." He said, pointing to Kie, then, he looked to Rowan.

"And you're always doing dumb shit anyway, so I already know your about it."

"Rude, but fair." Rowan says, shaking her head.

"But you and me, man, we got nothin' to lose!" JJ said, looking back at John B. "We really don't, all right?"

"JJ." John B said.

"And I know it didn't used to be that way for you."

"I don't wanna talk about this. I don't want to talk about it." Rowan sighed as he looked over to her. He stood up and moved past JJ.

"So that's it?" The blonde asked

"Just get out of my way, bro."

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan."

"That's never good." Rowan said.

"You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right?" JJ asked him, putting his arm over his friends shoulder.

"No."

"There's scuba gear inside. Just borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man. You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"