Heather

Summary: With the war over and both boys coming back for an eighth year, they decide to give being friends a shot. However, can Draco push his feelings enough to be a good friend? It doesn't help that Harry seems to be in love with Ginny Weasley. Based on the song Heather by Conan Gray

Word Count: 4,145

Love is a beautiful thing, right? Watching someone fall in love is pure; it should be a wonderful thing to see. It's a gift to watch someone become so happy as they fall in love.

Instead, Draco felt crushed.

Harry was watching the ginger girl walk into the great hall, his eyes never leaving her as she sat down at the Gryffindor table. He waited until the girl looked up before smiling widely, a sparkle in his eyes that burned Draco's heart.

It was a beautiful sight, seeing such free joy expressed on Harry's face. After the war, it was everything the boy deserved: he deserved to love and be loved. The Weasely was his soul mate and that was that.

Part of the blond didn't blame the Gryffindor for falling for Weasely. She was beautiful; even Draco saw that. Flowing red hair, soft features, and a stunning smile; not to mention, a sharp personality that contrasted her beauty in the most perfect way.

Draco shook his head, annoyed at himself for romanticizing the girl. He hated her without hating her at all, leaving his heart empty. It wasn't her fault, wasn't even Harry's fault. Draco was the idiot who thought he could handle being friends with his childhood crush.

"Are you alright, Draco?" Pansy, for once, had a very serious expression. Her eyes followed Draco's to the Gryffindor table, her gaze softening slightly. Normally she'd tease the blond for staring. Instead, she grabbed his hand under the table, giving it a gentle squeeze. "It's okay to admit it hurts."

If they were alone, the blond thought he might have burst into tears. "It hurts," He confirmed, his voice cracking slightly at the end. It hurt more than he had the words he described. Harry deserved love and Draco desperately wanted to be happy for him. He was being selfish but...

But how can you be happy watching the one you love fall in love with someone else?

Hesitantly, Pansy opened her mouth to ask, "What's different about today? Normally you smile as you watch him."

A tear fell from Draco's eye as he forced a smile on his face. "The sweater," He answered, a choked laugh rising out of him. "She's wearing his sweater."

1 month prior

"Malfoy?" Potter appeared from the darkness, a slight smile on his face. "Didn't expect to see you out this late. Can't believe you'd risk being out after curfew." He shook his head in mock disappointment.

The blond merely rolled his eyes. "You're one to talk, Potter."

At that, the boy chuckled. "How about you call me Harry?" He started to continue walking down the corridor, giving Draco a look that told him to follow. "I think-I think it'd be nice to be friends with you."

It was strange how honest the words seem. Harry Potter was smiling gently though as if he hadn't said words Draco had been waiting to hear for years, perhaps because he didn't realize he had. "Friends?" Was Draco's reply.

Even in the darkness, Draco could see how the boy's face flushed slightly. "Is that stupid? We haven't even talked since school started. I don't know-" He sighed, a thoughtful look in his eye. "I think I've missed you."

"What?" Draco choked out, his eyes wide. He stopped walking, wondering if he was dreaming up this whole thing. "You miss me torturing you? I was terrible to you! You hated me; you still hate me."