Andy meets Carina

Maya asked Andy to meet her to discuss what she wanted to have worked on before her concussion. She wanted to start planning for a fundraiser to support the arts in schools.

She had asked Mason to be here because he wanted to also introduce him to the team. He is now an art teacher at one of the most prestigious private schools in the city. Maya had reconciled with her brother a little while after she started dating Carina. It was actually Carina who gave her a little push to reconnect with him.

Mason had done the work to get clean and to make a name for himself when Maya was away exploring the world. They both come to their own realizations that Lane was not a good father, therefore they do not classify him as their father. He is simply just Lane to them. Unfortunately, their mother passed away in a tragic accident some time after the Olympics for Maya and the first time Mason overdosed. She helped Mason through it, even though Lane kicked him out. 

A drunk driver hit her on the driver's side of her car and she was gone upon impact. This is what inspired Maya to do something to give back to her community she lived in. With all the money she made from the Olympics and then the subsequent sponsorships, it was not necessary for her to work, even for a  day in her life, but she knew she wanted to do more. She is using her money for her family and other organizations she frequently donates to.

"Maya?" Mason asks for the third time. He nudges her this time as they sit on the couch together. "What? Sorry, lost in my thoughts there." Maya says with a sad smile. "I miss her too, you know. I know we didn't have the best childhood, but she did her best with the hand she was dealt. It's you and me now. And my favorite little besties that are coming in a few months. I still can't believe it's twins." Mason says with a dreamy look on his face.

"I kind of jinxed us. I had put it in the universe that I thought it was twins with Carina's increased hormones times one hundred. I read that it's intense with multiples and she has been intense in every aspect. Did I tell you she got mad at me because I forgot to make the bed one morning?" Maya says as she laughs. "Well, that's your fault. You don't cross that Italian pregnant goddess wife of yours." Mason says with a chuckle being met with a smack to the arm.

Just as they were going to continue their conversation, there was a knock on the door. Mason got tense for a second, Maya seemingly noticing. "Hey, Andy is great. She'll love you." Maya says as she squeezes his knee and gets up to open the door. "Hey, Andy. Oh and Vic! Come on in." Maya says as she sees the two women with plenty of bags.

"Thanks for coming over on your days off to plan." Maya says to the two firefighters. "No problem. We were just going to hang out and watch movies all day otherwise." Andy says nonchalantly. Maya quirks her eyebrow at that and their eyes get comedically wide at that admission. "Look, whatever you two are or turn out to be is your business, as long as you keep each other safe and everyone else safe, I support it. You do have to sign the paper though since Andy outranks you, Vic." Maya says with a smile. 

"We were going to tell you soon, we just wanted to live in our bubble for a little bit before we said anything. We will do whatever we need to do and I can assure you it will not be affecting our work." Vic states matter of factly. "Well I am happy for the two of you, truly." Maya says as she addresses the two women. They give her a smile and move into the kitchen. "Alright, so I made a big batch of tamales and thought we would need lunch. There is plenty for you to keep leftovers and then some too." Andy says as she pulls out a huge bag of tamales. 

"Wow, this is amazing. Thank you, Andy." Maya says as she waves Mason over. "Actually, there is another reason I wanted to bring you over today. This is my brother, Mason. Mase, this is Lieutenant Andrea Herrera and this is Victoria Hughes. Andy and Vic, respectively." Maya says, introducing the three of them.