15. Beloved Nemesis

Yeseul's birthday arrived with a flourish in ecstasy. Her younger brother had desperately asked for her to return home, in hopes of celebrating yet another glorious day of the year together. She didn't decline.

School had turned busier than ever, and all the seniors were seen huddled in libraries, or all alone in corridors with their notes. Hyunjin too had been the same. He had been spending his lunch period on the roof of their block. His mind had been swinging between the stagnant thoughts of his grey home, and his grades which needed a push. He also had been thinking of Yeseul and Jeongin, and how he had been avoiding them with a bruised heart.

Yeseul could sense the guilt through him. When they passed each other, she could feel the corners of his lips hang in deep gloom before he turned his face away, her eyes wishing they could look at his like before. And it did hurt her too, somewhere, but she knew Hyunjin wasn't feeling alright.

When their chemistry class ended, Yeseul pulled out the letter she had written for the boy. And in the five minutes she had before the next class, she ran down the lobby, searching for the boy through the open door. When she saw him sitting all by himself, he looked up, a spark of surprise elevating behind his gaze at her sight. He swallowed hard, trying to look away.

Yeseul walked ahead, her strides quick. She pushed the paper in the pocket of his shirt, smiling at his confusion. He didn't say anything, until he saw the girl walk out of the room. Pulling the folded letter, opened it, a smile wanting to spill out as soon as he read the first few words.

my beloved nemesis,
smile you idiot. I miss the sight of you looking like a fool.
*clears throat* I cordially invite you over my house on the occasion of my birthday on the 12th of this month. jeongin shall text you the address. (bc you dumbass still didn't give me your number)
much affection, your dearest yeseul.

T

he date was there sooner than expected. And Hyunjin had a flutter swimming in his chest since the minute he put on his suit. He drove down to the address when the sun descended behind the hills, music playing along with the elated air. He couldn't help his grin.

Especially not when he stood at the doorstep, the bell ringing under his finger. He heard a faint song play behind the walls, as his heart throbbed in his ribcage.

The door was pulled open, a radiant smile greeting him. He felt a hitch in his breath.

"You came."

At that moment the realisation broke over him that Yeseul had invited him over to cheer him up. He didn't say much. With a soreness for her touch, he walked ahead, closing the distance between them. Yeseul softly gasped when she felt the arms of the boy hold her waist, his face resting on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry." He breathed out the pain.

She hugged him closer.