14. Us

Mid terms weren't too far, and so wasn't the ending verse of the summer.

It was under the pale moonlight when the three were walking out of the library, a gentle crisp of air swiftly moving into their shoulders and fingers when Jeongin sighed. "We should have an outing before exams."

"Hmm." Yeseul hummed mindlessly, eyes full of the city lights beside them, which descended down the slope of the road. The sea was holding the shining moonlight over it, and the sight of it couldn't make the heart of the girl happier.

"I wish we could visit my grandma." Hyunjin turned to the two.

"Doesn't she live in the outskirts of the town?" Jeongin asked.

"Yeah. The place around her home is just... beautiful. I want to visit her so badly, but you know how mum is... "

Yeseul blinked away from the lights, her eyes moving to catch the distant gaze of Hyunjin's. The atmosphere fell heavy. Jeongin didn't say much other than kicking at a pebble, scoffing under his breath.

"You aren't allowed to visit her?" Yeseul asked, her voice hesitantly poking at the stiff moment.

Hyunjin dropped his head, hands sliding in his jacket's pocket, to steal some warmth, probably. But he couldn't convince his discomfort otherwise. He dug his nails in his palm, cresents forming in his skin. "Sad, right?"

"Let's visit her." Yeseul stressed her words, stopping under a warm streetlight beside a shop that sold some trinkets. "Let's do it."

Hyunjin stopped too, face not turning towards her. Jeongin moved closer to Yeseul. His eyes sad. "We can't."

"Why?" Yeseul felt lost. "But Hyunjin seems to miss her."

"She was against my parent's marriage."

A car rushed past. The picking wind moving a piece of hair over Hyunjin's eyebrow. He sighed, looking at the moon.

"But... you love her, don't you?" Yeseul felt a weight form on her shoulders, burdening down the lost elation in her.

"I do."

"I'm sure she loves you too."

"No." Hyunjin finally met her eyes, but he looked away quickly. "Do you think she'll like the product of something that she loathed?"

Jeongin pulled Yeseul by her cuff. He softly shook his head, as if saying that the hurt Hyunjin felt wasn't possible to be healed by words.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have pushed."

"You two go ahead without me. I'll leave first." Hyunjin breathed out, feet too tired to leave, but his heart kept filling up with things he didn't want. He walked away, hoping he disappears in the night.

At her apartment, Yeseul was busy scrubbing her dishes. It was close to 12, but her mind would wander to what had taken place earlier that day. She couldn't seem to forget the longing in Hyunjin's eyes. Sighing, she rinsed the soap off her hands, drying them on a towel.

"I wish I could help."

Her phone buzzed in her apron. She looked down, pulling it out.

@samsllama

dont you want to run away sometimes?

dramatic
but without I doubt I do

let's run away somewhere safe then

I assure you that I am your safe space

but what about us?

us?

us.

Yeseul felt a fleeting stir in her chest. She almost could picture Hyunjin talking to her on the other side.

She wished it was like that. Because she couldn't handle giving away pieces of her heart to many.

I'll find a place for us too then

sweet dreams, sul

"Sweet dreams."