29. Genevieve

I hadn't heard much from either of the Hale family over the last week and a half, the one or two texts from Sebastian. I wanted to give him as much space as he needed, finding out your dad has lung cancer isn't easy to accept. I knew Mr. Hale left the hospital last Friday so I'm assuming everyone is with him for the time being.

School has been kicking my ass lately because of midterms but now that they have slowed down, I've been able to take up a few extra shifts at the daycare. I've been doing good on my meal preps, Imogen has been with me for every meal since Sebastian has been a little MIA, some days it is still harder but baby steps. Clinical is also kicking my ass but I love working with kids so they get me out of bed every morning.

Normally on Wednesdays, I'm walking into the apartment with Imogen but she's working at the diner tonight, the boys did text and ask if I wanted to come over for some pizza, I haven't answered them yet. I grab a bottle of water from the fridge before walking over to my bedroom.

"Oh my god!" I gasp falling against my doorframe, grabbing the door handle. "Jesus Seb, you scared me," I sigh resting a hand on my beating heart.

He's sitting at the foot of my bed, he slowly lifts his head and I notice the dark under eyes, and dark red eyes "Sebastian," I say slowly, making sure there's no alcohol near him.

"I'm not drunk, I promise," He assures me, I enter my room and set my stuff down, I eye his appearance. He looks like he hasn't slept in days, his clothes are wrinkled and I don't smell any liquor so I sigh internally.

"Come," I say and reach down to grab his hand, he allows me to pull him up and I move us to the bed, he easily sits down and rests his back on my white headboard. I climb on the bed and before I could get comfortable, he pulls me in by his legs and pulls me onto his lap.

"You can talk to me, you can always talk to me baby," I say softly playing with his hair that's curled at the nape of his neck.

"We got tested to see if we matched for a lung transplant," He begins with a sigh. I don't push him for information, I let him take his time in the meantime I pay attention to his fingers tracing my skin underneath my t-shirt and I continue to play with his hair.

"None of us matched, even mom tested," He says.

"I'm sorry Seb," I shake my head gently. Sebastian sighs and he squeezes his eyes shut before reopening them.

"I found out that dad had been putting away money in unnamed bank accounts," He says, I tilt my head. "He put money away for a safety net for me and Penny's future kids."

My eyes widen slightly and I let out a small sigh, "wow," I mumble. I didn't know Johnathan Hale had that kind of humanity in him but I assume everyone does.

"And then this afternoon, I overheard him and Penny talking. She's still wrecked over the thing, I don't blame her. But they were talking and fucking going over old childhood memories. They went silent for a minute and then Dad apologized, he fucking apologized for everything. For messing up our childhood, for keeping Rhett away, for being a horrible dad, for being the cause of our addictions and mental health, and then he,"

He stops and I watch him closely, he's choked up and tears are forming and this is when I know he's at his weakest and my heart is breaking for him because since I've known him he's been nothing but a brick wall and only shared emotion around me but him crying in front of me is a whole new level of emotion.

"And then he said he was sorry for being the cause of Penny's suicide attempt," he shakes his head and that's when I break. I shift closer and wrap my arms around him. Neither of us say anything, we hold each other and I let him cry, I could tell the second we locked eyes he needed this.