Chapter 28 - Overcoming Fears

Start from the beginning

Finnick opened the door and quietly called: "Annie, I'm back!" Most probably Max was asleep. 

Annie immediately ran toward the door and jumped into Finnick's arms, hugging him tightly. When they parted, Annie finally noticed us and I pulled her into an embrace as well.

"Hey, Annie. I hope we aren't intruding", I greeted her. 

"Of course not! Max is already asleep though." 

We followed Annie into the kitchen, where she served us some tea. We told her about our trip to the high ropes course and purposely let out the aspect of me freaking out. 

"I think we should all go and visit Peeta and Katniss", I suggested. 

The others agreed and we kept on talking until the sun rose again. 

"Johanna! (f/n)!", Max greeted us excitedly as he had just come down the stairs. 

"Hey! What about me?", Finnick pouted. 

"Later, daddy", the little boy rejected him. 

"Ouch", Finnick mumbled earning a sympathetic smile from Annie and me and a grin from Johanna. 

"Let's do something fun together!", Max addressed Johanna and me. 

"Do you still have your axe?", Johanna whispered loud enough for everyone to here. 

"You're not going to teach him how to use an axe!" Annie sighed in frustration. 

"Aw. Why not?", Johanna and Max replied simultaneously. 

"Why do you even wanna teach him?", I asked laughing.

She shrugged her shoulders. "It could come in handy." 

"For what?", Annie questioned. 

"To defend himself and to impress his friends", Johanna considered. 

"I doubt that Max will keep his friends if their parents see him running around with an axe", Finnick suggested with a chuckle. 

"In district 7 no one is judged for that", Johanna brushed it off. 

"But we're in district 4", Annie reminded her.

"And the times have changed", I added. 

"Ouch. I trusted you with my back and you betrayed me", my girlfriend accused me with mock hurt. I shook my head with a smile. 

"Never mind. You three should rest first", Annie changed the topic. 

"Nah. We're used to the lack of sleep", Johanna stated. 

"You two should enjoy some time together and meanwhile we'll look out for Max", I offered.

"Seriously? We don't want to ...", Annie began but was interrupted by Finnick. "Let's go, Annie. They wouldn't offer it, if they didn't mean it." Soon the couple disappeared upstairs. 

"So what do you wanna do?", Johanna asked Max. 

"Oh! I wanna show you my sandcastle!", he exclaimed excitedly and rushed upstairs to put on some clothes. 

"Why are children so full of energy?", Johanna wondered while resting her head on the kitchen table. 

"Because they don't have many experiences", I suggested. "Or maybe they just don't worry so much?", I considered. 

"Come on! Let's go!", Max interrupted our conversation. 

"Don't you wanna eat something first?", I remembered.