Chapter 27 - Living In Peace

"I'm sorry. I ruined the mood", I apologized feeling sad and guilty. 

This trip had been so much fun until I had ruined it. Johanna had jumped down and hence finished the parcour, before getting rid of her equipment, running after me, finally finding and climbing up to me. 

"You didn't ruin anything. Thanks to you Peeta and I got rid of our fear, didn't we?", Finnick declared. 

"Yes! Without worrying for you we could've never moved like that", Peeta agreed with a smile. I had the greatest friends. 

Johanna was looking out of the window absentmindedly, though she still held my hand. "Jo?"

"Hm?", she turned to face me. 

"Thanks." I smiled gratefully at her. 

She sighed. "I'm still mad at you." 

"You are?", I reassured disappointed. 

"Yeah. Running away on your own is a bad habit. You could've at least taken me with you to make sure you ... um ... you know what I mean", she brushed it off. That made me smile again. She had been worried about me again. 

"Oh, before I forget it", Finnick interjected. "Max is annoying me all the time when you two are going to visit us again as you didn't show up last time." 

Johanna grinned. "Maybe we should let him suffer a bit more", Johanna addressed me. 

"You know I can hear everything, right?", Finnick noted. 

"That's the point, idiot." Johanna laughed. 

"Stop that nonsense!", I scolded her while shaking my head still smiling. "How about we visit you after the election instead of returning to 7 immediately?", I suggested. 

Finnick smiled brightly. "Approved! Peeta. If Katniss gets acquitted, you two should definitely visit us too sometime." 

"Yes, that would be great", he agreed.

After returning to our apartments, I decided to go to the old training center, which had been turned into a gym. Of course Johanna insisted to accompany me. 

When we entered the gym many people started staring at us. We had been famous before due to our games, but now that we had become representatives it had gotten worse. 

"So what are we here for?", Johanna wondered. "It's not like you're into fighting", she added. 

"Do whatever you want to. I'll go to the shooting range", I declared and walked off. 

I felt strange. My speech for Katniss had moved something inside me and it unsettled me. A gun in my hands made everything else vanish. My full attention was on the device, on observing, aiming, shooting. So it was only natural for me to go to the shooting range. After all without the training I would have gone insane in 13 back then, when Johanna had been at the Capitol. It had become a way to cope. 

"Sorry, but you can't go there today. A competition is going on", a guard enlightened me.

"Then let me participate, please", I requested. 

I could see that he was suppressing his amusement. I cocked an eyebrow at him. "I'm sorry. I don't want to be rude, but this is a training competition for the best snipers of the whole country. Even if you're famous, I can't just let you in", he clarified. 

I pushed past him and approached the other people. They were currently shooting at a 600 meter range. Child's play. The one shooting right now hit the bull's eye five times in a row with five shoots.