Chapter 2 - New Life

I felt a bit guilty because it's a Johanna x fem reader fanfiction and she first appears in the third chapter. So I decided to make an exception and upload two chapters this week. Then Johanna will be present from next week's chapter on. Hope you like it :)

-----------------

Seeder pulled me into a tight embrace as soon as we met. 

The Capitol had needed several days to make me look presentable as I had only been skin and bones. It was ridiculous. The Capitol people had seen me inside the arena. They knew how I had looked, but it was part of the games. A game I had won, though I did not feel victorious at all. What was great about killing other people? We were just some pawns for their entertainment. 

"I don't want to romanticize killing, but you had no choice if you wanted to survive. I'm proud of you." 

I clung onto my mentor. Chaos was ruling over my emotional state. I needed someone to hold onto and was glad that Seeder was with me. 

"I didn't even know their names", I uttered. 

"The boy from district 2 was Kile and the one of 10 was Theo. They had both killed someone too. It's not like they were willing to spare you", Seeder comforted me. 

"I know, but it still feels horrible. The thought about facing all of that again in a few minutes, in front of the whole Capitol ..." 

Seeder interrupted me and shook her head: "You are breaking yourself. It wasn't your fault, (f/n). You did what was necessary to survive." 

"Will it ever get easier?" 

"Honestly, it's a burden that will accompany you for the rest of your life. But you had a reason to return, right? What about your necklace?" 

A small smile captured my face. "Rue. Yeah, I want to be reunited with my family." 

Seeder smiled softly at me. "They will help you to learn living with that burden. I'm sure about that. And I will help you, too, if you need me. After all, we are going to be neighbors." 

She let me go as I had to go on stage any minute now. 

"Thank you, Seeder." 

"It's nothing. Really. You will understand when you become a mentor." 

I nodded and set off toward the stage. My legs were wobbly due to my inner turmoil. I took a deep breath before moving into the bright light of the Capitol's attention. 

"Here she is! Our glorious victor!" 

The audience broke out in thunderous applause. 

A ringing sound captured my ears but I tried to ignore it. To protect my family I needed to act. So I faked a smile and waved at the crowd. 

When I set down on the armchair I had an overview over the whole audience. Being watched by so many people made me nervous. I had not wasted a thought on that during the games. 

"Well, (f/n). At first, I would like to tell you how happy we all are to have you back", Caesar Flickerman stated exaggeratedly. They did not care who was sitting on the chair as long as they had their victor. 

"I'm glad to be back too", I chuckled. 

Ugh. I hated my own act, though my words had not been a lie for once. 

"So, tell us, (f/n). What are you planning to do first, when you return to district 11?" 

"See my family", I replied without hesitation. 

"Would you like to tell us about them?" 

I nodded. If the Capitol's citizens got attached to my family, it was more likely that Snow would not harm them in any way.