Fairy cakes and floury-hair (6)

I stood beside The Doctor inside of the console room, hands inside my pockets pouting. The past few days I had been feeling awful. My aunt had died. We had our disagreements, but I stilled missed the days from my childhood when she would help me ride my bike down the streets outside her flats. Or when we would bake sweet treats and eat them on the floor on top of blankets and pretend it was a 'picnic'.

The Fam had tried their best to cheer me up, and The Doctor had taken me to so many wonderful places. I felt like I was acting ungrateful, but when I voiced this The Doctor completely denied this, and peppered me with affection.

" Y/N, anywhere you want to go? Fancy a trip to the 1800s?"

I looked up to see The Doctor looking at me sadly. I shook my head and sighed. I knew I should just get over it. It wasn't like there was anything she could do about it.

"What did she like to do with you?"

I looked up to meet The Docs eyes. I smiled slowly thinking for a minute.

" we used to bake together..."

The Doctor grinned at my response, and quickly moved beside me.

" We'll then! Let's get to the kitchens. What d'you fancy baking?"

She asked excitedly. I thought for a minute, smiling -her smile is so infectious- before replying.

" Fairy cakes. They were always my favourites."

The Doctor smiled and we headed to thekitchen. I gathered supplies, while The Doctor watched eagerly. She hadn't seen me so active in days.

" Right, I think we've got everything we need. Eggs, sugar, flour, milk, butter, icing..."

The Doctor stood beside me, and helped me as I made the mixture, licking the spoon when I was finished. I laughed as she sneezed loudly when flour got in her hair. I gently brushed it away from her face, and tried to ignore the feeling of her eyes fixed on mine.

" We just need to wait for it to cook now."

I said, perched along the kitchen counter. The Doctor smiled and sat next to me. We sat in silence a few minutes, before the oven finally pinged, signalling the cakes were ready.

The Doctor helped me ice them, picking some of the most-interesting- colour choices I'd seen in a long time.

" Done!"

The Doctor exclaimed, as she finished the icing on the final cake. We stood, looking at our creations proudly for a few minutes, before grinning at each other and grabbing some to put in our mouths.

" Oh it's so good!"

The Doctor moaned, stuffing almost an entire cupcake into her mouth. I giggled and licked the icing of mine. She stared at me for a second, an dI noticed flour in her hair. I reached over and ruffled it, sending flour flying everywhere.

We laughed, and we're quiet for a while, apart from the sound of chewing. I turned to the Doctor, smiling softly as I did so.

" Thank you."

I whispered. She glanced at me, before smiling in return.

" No problem. Eating cakes is what I do best!"

She joked. We sat there for several minutes, scoffing cakes and chatting, as friends tend to do. And I realised something. Of all of the people in the universe, I wouldn't have picked anyone but The Doctor to be my friend.