Holding you (12)

A/N I'm a bit tipsy (actually I'm plastered) so the editing is quite frankly shit. Also, Ik they get very cuddly but no smut. We ain't getting Freaky yet. But enjoy my touch starved ass getting some hugs</3 CassandraCassandr420

You knew that travelling with her was risky, that sometimes you couldn't avoid seeing death and pain. You knew that you could expect to be changed after seeing it. But what you didn't count on was the nightmares that came with it.

They consumed you every night, leaving you on edge in the morning. The Doctor knew, of course. She too suffered from night terrors. During the days of the time war she'd wake up trembling. So she knew exactly how to help.

"What do you mean cuddling"

You'd asked, an eyebrow raised. It was a usual night on the Tardis, and The Doctor had arrived at the door of your room with a smile on her face.

"I know you've been having nightmares. I got them a lot during the Time War, and I know that having someone near would have helped me a lot."

You noticed a slight tremble in her voice when she mentioned the War. This was something didifficult for her, and she cared about you denough to mention it.

"I thought you might want me to stay with you Toni-"

"I'd love that, Doctor."

She smiled, and you gently pulled her down into your bed. She pulled you close, warm hands trailing through your hair. She pressed a kiss to your forehead, but didn't pull away afterwards, instead whispering words softly in Gallifreyan against your hair.

Her hand drew patterns against your back and you let out a long sigh. Maybe you had needed this.

"Doc?"

"Hm?"

"Thanks for this"

"No problem love."

You busied yourself running your fingers through her soft blond hair, admiring how it shimmered in the low lighting, like the stars she showed you. Eventually tiredness came to you. But somehow you didn't feel the familiar dread that usually settled in, with the sickening knowledge you'd wake up from some new horror. Instead you felt at peace, the sounds of The Doctor humming a tune and the smell of her lulling you into a peaceful rest.

Your eyes slipped closed, and The Doctor moved back a bit to look at you, admiring the way you looked peaceful.

"I love you.."

She whispered the words slowly, liking how they sounded. Maybe, she'd tell you tomorrow properly. But for now, she herself laid her head down to rest.