42

23rd February
2018

Jeong Yunho paces back and forth restlessly, teeth nibbling his nails.

"So you're telling me that you're sure these men are responsible for all these deaths but you can't even get an arrest warrant?" Yunho reiterates with aggression present in his voice to another helpless police detective sitting on a chair beside him. In front of the men is a large whiteboard with investigation notes scribbled onto it, along with pictures of some men and women. A blurry picture of a man named Kim Hongjoong and a man named Park Seonghwa are circled in red.

"I'm sorry officer Jeong, but I told you they keep brushing it off, saying we need even more evidence. They won't even let me bring the men in for questioning," he whines. Yunho clenches his fist. His own team may not be in charge of this case, but that doesn't stop him from wanting to take things into his own hands.

"How much did they pay you? You've decided to give up on the case because you got bribed, isn't it? How pathetic," Yunho spits with the most bitter expression he can muster. The other officer, being a junior to Yunho by a few months, keeps his head ducked out of shame and his blood runs cold.

"I-I didn't get paid, this situation is out of my control..." he mumbles. As soon as his eyes meet Yunho's sharp glare, he shivers violently. "Get out of my sight," Yunho orders, voice revealing his lack of patience in that moment.

The other officer shoots up and scurries to the door of the office, but as he's running, another older man stomps in. He glances at the young officer exiting the room before continuing in, heading straight to Yunho.

Yunho is still shaking with rage while remaining deep in thought over the case. He's nearly certain that Kim Hongjoong and Park Seonghwa are the culprits, but how can he do anything? He doesn't have any power on his own, and the investigators of the case keep brushing it off for some reason. 

Just as Yunho is cursing out every corrupt politician in his head, this team's leader beside him clears his throat loudly. Yunho's eyes widen and he instantly salutes the old man, forgetting that the whiteboard with the case notes is still right there.

"Officer Jeong. It would be for the best if you stayed in your own department and took care of your own cases. I'm sick of seeing you around our office, why can't you keep your nose out of our business?" he scolds in a calm manner.

Yunho sighs and fights to keep himself under control. "Sir, I just felt very interested in this case, but more importantly, curious as to why Kim Hongjoong and Park Seonghwa won't be brought in for questioning. Even if there's no evidence, they're key suspects and I think we should-"

"I don't think you're listening to me, kid. Mind. Your. Own. Business," the older interrupts, expression growing more sour. "I tried to be nice, but you won't listen. Don't teach us how to do our jobs and just focus on your own. If I see you even mentioning this case again, I'm going to have to bring this incident up with your own supervisor and we'll see if you can even keep your job," he threatens in a low voice.

Yunho's mouth shuts fast, and he keeps his eyes trained to the ground, eyebrows furrowed deep. "I'm sorry, sir. I will concentrate on my own work from now on," he forces out before turning abruptly and speeding out of the office.

As soon as he's out, he takes a deep breath and is even more concerned now. Everyone seems to be protecting the two suspects. Meaning that it's even more likely that they've committed a serious crime.

But is he planning on backing out?

Absolutely not.

3rd March
2018

Yunho now sits in a break room with his newly acquired friends. Or in other words, his secret investigation team.